1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector tangent to axis?

1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    How does it look like if three unit vectors at a point such that each vector is tangent to one of the axes in 3-Dimensional Cartesian System? Can anyone illustrate about this? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It looks exactly like the standard drawing of a 3D graph basis, just with the center offset accordingly (unless your point is AT the origin, in which case it is exactly the standard drawing)

4. Nov 14, 2013 #3

Does it mean that the vector is parallel to the axis?

5. Nov 14, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Which vector and which axis?

You mentioned three unit vectors and three axes in your OP.

6. Nov 14, 2013 #5
    each unit vector parallel to each axes? if I have three unit vector u, v ,w, and axes x , y, z , then u parallel to x , v parallel to y , w parallel to z?

7. Nov 14, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If each one is tangent to an axis, then it is parallel to that axis.

8. Nov 15, 2013 #7
    I'm reading "An Introduction to Tensors for Students of Physics and Engineering"

I cannot understand in the triangular coordinate systems, how i and i* now meet at an angle of 60°?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook