Vector Wave Equation: Uses & Benefits

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a vector wave equation in Maxwell's equations, specifically for scattering purposes. It was mentioned that it is needed frequently in various fields such as hydrodynamics and electrodynamics. The difficulty of working out these equations was also mentioned, and it was noted that there is a discipline called potential theory that focuses on it. Another method of solution, called Inverse Problems, was also brought up, and it was stated that it is largely used by geophysicists. The conversation ended with the suggestion to read a book on Inverse Problem theory and discuss it further after completing the current project.
wasi-uz-zaman
hi, my question is , when do we need to have vector wave equation. So far in Maxwell equation you can find scalar as well as vector wave equation, I figure out when we are looking for the scattering we need vector wave equation. Second isn't simple to work out scalar potential and then by its gradient we can have electric field and so on.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need it pretty much all the time where it is the resulting solution of a partial differential equation. You will encounter them everywhere from hydrodynamics to electrodynamics (fiberoptics for a textbook example), really.

As of the difficulty of working them out, sometimes it is the only way to get the rigorous solution. There is a whole discipline focusing on it called potential theory (related to harmonic analysis).

Does it answer your question or did I misunderstood you?

thanks dear - very much clear

I forgot about one more method of solution. Much less strict, but more than enough for a lot of the problems that can be, very crudely, summarised as "there may be an analytic exact solution but we can't find it": Inverse Problems. If you have an approximate model and some of the eigenvalues (observed results) than you can recreate the problem statement in detail. Perhaps even find the exact solutions.

However it is not my area of study, I have only recently began to read some of the introductory books on the topic (I'm just past the second chapter in "http://www.ipgp.jussieu.fr/~tarantola/Files/Professional/Books/index.html " by prof. Tarantola) From what I have gathered up to this point, it is largely the tool of geophysicists and they are in all likelihood best suited to lay it down for you if I got you interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
sure, why not I will download the book of " Inverse Problem theory" and than will discuss with you after completing my current project.
thanks

Related to Vector Wave Equation: Uses & Benefits

1. What is the Vector Wave Equation?

The Vector Wave Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of vector fields, such as electromagnetic fields or gravitational fields, in space and time. It is a partial differential equation that relates the second-order derivatives of the field with respect to both space and time.

2. What are the applications of the Vector Wave Equation?

The Vector Wave Equation has many applications in physics and engineering, including the study of electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the design and analysis of antennas, radar systems, and other communication technologies.

3. How is the Vector Wave Equation solved?

The Vector Wave Equation can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, or numerical methods. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the boundary conditions.

4. What are the benefits of using the Vector Wave Equation?

The Vector Wave Equation allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of vector fields in different physical systems. This helps us understand complex phenomena and design efficient and effective technologies for various applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the Vector Wave Equation?

The Vector Wave Equation assumes that the medium in which the wave propagates is linear and homogeneous, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account the effects of nonlinearities and dispersion, which can limit its accuracy in certain scenarios.