Vectors in different coordinate systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of polar coordinates to find the vector connecting a ring to its center, in order to perform an integration for the electric field due to a semicircle at the origin. The issue arises with the units of the phi component, which is in radians while the rho component is in meters. The conversation also suggests considering the Jacobian in the integration and provides a link for more information on polar coordinates and circles. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of defining the vector normal to the arc line.
Ahmad Kishki
how do i write vectors in polar coordinate? And what will the azimuth coordinate represent?

I was trying to figure out the vector connecting a ring to its center using polar coordinates, so that i would perform an integration over d(phi) (finding the electric field due to a semicircle at the origin). I wrote the vector as (-rho, phi,0) but then i ran into trouble with the units since the units of phi are radians. I worked this out in cartesian pretty easily but i am eager to know how this will work in polar, since polar here seems to me more natural.

Thanks in advance :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I think you need to include the radius as one component. In your integration you need the Jacobian too
as in r dr dtheta which provides the missing units of measure.

Here's some info on polar coordinates and circles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system#circle

Show us your work and we can help you even better.

Likes Ahmad Kishki
I know the jacobian, and infact already found it in this case, but the issue is not here. Here the vector is included in the integration, but the phi component has units radians, while the rho has meters. The idea here is that maybe my idea about vectors in cylindrical / polar coordinates is wrong. This is so since the length of a vector can not be (rho + phi)^1/2 since the rho and phi have different units.

Rho^2 +phi^2 (first post sorry)

image.jpg

Ahmad Kishki said:
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

I think you need to include the radius as one component. In your integration you need the Jacobian too
as in r dr dtheta which provides the missing units of measure.

Here's some info on polar coordinates and circles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system#circle

Show us your work and we can help you even better.

Here is the problem.. I am stuck at finding the vector that goes from the ring to the origin. And assuming i know that vector, which phi should i use to obtain the value of the electric field at the origin? I mean phi changes with position. I realize there is an easier way, but i want to know this way as well. (Sorry for multiple posts, this is my first time using a forum, soi am not sure i get the hang of it)

image.jpg

As I look at the wolfram examples like arc length, they don't treat the vector in a component fashion but as a vector.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PolarCoordinates.html

And that may be why you hung up here, you're trying to work with it in its native form.

I think they would define your vector as being normal to the arc ie the second derivative of the arc line.

Last edited:

1. What are vectors in different coordinate systems?

Vectors in different coordinate systems refer to how vectors are represented and described in various coordinate systems, such as Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, and spherical coordinates.

2. How do you convert a vector from one coordinate system to another?

To convert a vector from one coordinate system to another, you can use transformation matrices or formulas specific to the coordinate systems involved. For example, to convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you can use the formulas: r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = arctan(y/x).

3. What is the significance of using different coordinate systems for vectors?

Different coordinate systems have different advantages and uses, depending on the problem being solved. For example, polar coordinates are useful for describing circular or rotational motion, while Cartesian coordinates are commonly used for simplifying calculations in two- or three-dimensional space.

4. Can vectors be represented in non-Cartesian coordinate systems?

Yes, vectors can be represented in non-Cartesian coordinate systems, such as cylindrical coordinates, spherical coordinates, and even curvilinear coordinates. Each coordinate system has its own unique way of representing vectors, and the choice will depend on the problem at hand.

5. How do you determine the components of a vector in a specific coordinate system?

To determine the components of a vector in a specific coordinate system, you can use the dot product or cross product with unit vectors in that coordinate system. For example, in cylindrical coordinates, the components of a vector can be calculated as V_r = V⋅e_r, V_θ = V⋅e_θ, and V_z = V⋅e_z, where V is the vector and e_r, e_θ, and e_z are the unit vectors in the radial, azimuthal, and vertical directions, respectively.