1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Describing a position vector with polar coordinates.

Tags:
  1. Aug 30, 2016 #1
    I have read that in polar coordinates, we can form the position vector, velocity, and acceleration, just as with Cartesian coordinates. The position vector in Cartesian coordinates is ##\vec{r} = r_x \hat{i} + r_y \hat{j}##. And any choice of ##r_x## and ##r_y## maps the vector to a position in the plane. How is this done with polar coordinates? Online I have read that the position vector in polar coordinates is ##\vec{r} = |r| \hat{r}##, but I don't see how this can map to any point in the plane. Don't we need an angular description as well? I don't see that in this equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For position vector, you can always represent a position vector as a sum between a radial vector and angular vector. But the resultant vector turns out to be another radial vector, therefore it's superfluous to use the representation which contains the angular component.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. Aug 30, 2016 #3
    Polar co-ordinates for a plane involve two quantities, 'r' and 'Theta' just like 'x'and 'y' in Cartesian system . If you only specify 'r' then you are not giving the complete picture. It is like mentioning only the 'x' or 'y' in Cartesian co-ordinates.

5. Aug 30, 2016 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The thing that you have to keep in mind is that in polar coordinates the basis vectors ##\hat r## and ##\hat{\theta}## are functions of the coordinates ##r## and ##\theta##. So ##\vec{r} = |r|\hat{r}## should probably be written ##\vec{r} = |r|\hat{r}_{(r,\theta)}## for clarity.

6. Aug 30, 2016 #5
    Excellent answer. The only thing I would add would be that, in polar coordinates, the two unit vectors are functions only of ##\theta## (and not r).

7. Aug 30, 2016 #6

Dale

Oops, you are completely correct.

8. Aug 30, 2016 #7
    So using the notation ##\vec{r} = |r| \hat{r}_{(\theta)}## how would I write out the vector (for example) ##\vec{r} = 2\hat{i} + 4 \hat{j}?##

9. Aug 30, 2016 #8

Mark44

What's the angle that the vector <2, 4> makes, and what is its magnitude?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted