1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors, Planes, and intersections

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The planes 3x+2y+z=6 and x+2y+5z=1- intersect along the line (x+2)/2 = (y-6)/(-7/2)= z.

A third plane passes through the origin and is perpendicular to the intersection of the first two planes, at what point do the three planes intersect?

2. Relevant equations

Intersection in parametric eq:

x = -2 + 2t
    y = 6 - 7/2t
    z = t

3. The attempt at a solution

At first glance I knew that a normal vector will be perpendicular to the plane, so I just took the vector from the intersection <2, -7/2, 1> and used that as the normal vector for the third plane. I knew it passes through origin so i used point (0,0,0)

I get

2x - 7/2y + z = D

I input (0,0,0) for (x,y,z) and get D= 0

Thus the equation for the third plane is

2x - 7/2y + z = 0

At this point I plot everything in maple and the intersection that was given to me doesnt even look like it's the true intersection, none the less my third plane doesn't look like its perpendicular to my intersection either.

We have never done 3 planes intersecting but I assume it similar to 2 planes, where I set a variable equal to zero such as x=0 and then solve the system of equations. Once the other 2 are found, we can then just find the third and that will be the point in the intersection. I am not sure how to find the vector

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That might be caused by not using the "scaling=constrained" option in the Maple plot.

I would multiply the equation of the third plane by 2 on both sides to get rid of the fractions. To find the intersection point you could either:

1. Solve the three plane equations in three unknowns for ##x,y,z## using substitution, row reduction, or determinants.

2. Probably easier, substitute the parametric equation of the original line of intersection into the third plane, solve for ##t##, and use that ##t## to get ##x,y,z##. Then check it trying ##(x,y,z)## in each plane.

4. Sep 12, 2012 #3
    x+2y+5z=1- should be x+2y+5z=10

Also I had make sure scaling was constrained, but now trying to do it in maple it looks right. so must of been a small mistake.

None the less taking your advice I got

t = 100/69

solving for xyz:

x = 62/69
    y = 64/69
    z = 100/69

And it checks for all 3 planes, so I guess it's right :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  5. Sep 12, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's what I would guess too. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook