Vectors Using Cosine or Sin Law

Magnitude of vector 5a is 10 and magnitude of vector 2b is 2b. Using the given information and the cosine law, the magnitude of vector b can be determined.In summary, to determine the magnitude of vector b in this problem, we can use the given information and the cosine law to solve for b.
xChee

Homework Statement

Need help with a question ... .__."

q: if the magnitude of a=2 and the magnitude of 5a-2b= 7.7, and the angles between the vectors a and b is 50 degrees determine the magnitude of b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first I drew a diagram... then i used cosine law to solve for b

l5a-2bl = (5x2) + (2b)^2 -2(5x2)(2b)cos50

7.7= 10 +4b^2 -40b cos 50

this worked out to be a quadratic, the zeros i found were 6.3 & 0.09, but then i subbed those numbers back into the cosine law i don't get back 7.7...

I tried this question like this, l5a-2bl = (5x2)^2 + (2b)^2 -2(5x2)(2b)cos50, but it didn't work out either.

help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just use algebra to solve for b?

xChee said:

Homework Statement

Need help with a question ... .__."

q: if the magnitude of a=2 and the magnitude of 5a-2b= 7.7, and the angles between the vectors a and b is 50 degrees determine the magnitude of b.

Magnitude of vectors are scalar quantity. Operations just like ordinary real numbers.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

What is the cosine law?

The cosine law (also known as the law of cosines) is a mathematical formula used to find the length of a side of a triangle when given the lengths of the other two sides and the angle between them. It is often used in vector calculations to find the magnitude of a resultant vector.

What is the sine law?

The sine law (also known as the law of sines) is a mathematical formula used to find the length of a side of a triangle when given the length of one side and the angles opposite to that side. It is also used in vector calculations to find the magnitude of a resultant vector.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector using the cosine law?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the cosine law by finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. For example, if the vector is represented by (a,b), the magnitude is equal to √(a² + b²).

How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector using the sine law?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the sine law by finding the length of one side of a triangle formed by the vector and its components, and using the sine law to find the length of the other side. The magnitude of the vector is then equal to the length of the second side.