Vectors, Volume, and plane equations.

In summary, four planes intersect in a way that there is no common point between all four of them, but each set of three has a single common point. The position vectors of the four common points are <-4,-3,-3>, <7,5,-2>, <1,-2,5>, and <-4,6,-1>. For part (a) of the problem, the volume enclosed by the four planes can be calculated using the formula V = 1/6[abc] + 1/6[abd], where a, b, c, and d are the position vectors of the common points. In part (b), the cartesian equations for the four planes can be found by using a
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Four planes intersect in such a way that there is no common point between all four of them but that each set of three has a single common point. The position vectors of the four common points,A,B,C,D are, <-4,-3,-3> ,<7,5,-2>,<1,-2,5>,<-4,6,-1> respectively.
(a) Find the volume enclosed by the four planes. (b) Find the cartesian equations of the four planes.

Homework Equations

When I drew this out I got something that reminded me of a tetrahedron. But it looked like there were two of them. So, in general I for part a i just did V = 1/6[abc] + 1/6[abd]
I would write it but I don't have my papers with me.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the Cartesian equations I don't know what to use. Draw the picture and you will see that there are more then 4 faces so it is confusing me. How do I decifer which ones to use?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get that formula for volume?

When I drew the picture it looked to me like two tetrahedrons. So I just did 1/6[abc]+1/6[abd]. Because the tetrahedron is 1/6th the parrelliped formed when you do a tripple scalar product.

If you connect the four points all the ways possible you get one tetrahedron with four faces. But you don't use the position vectors to the points in your calculations. You have to use vectors along the sides.

Ah. So it isn't two then. How did you know that then? I connected them but obviously wrong. That is my problem.

Jbreezy said:
Ah. So it isn't two then. How did you know that then? I connected them but obviously wrong. That is my problem.
If O is the origin, the given vectors are OA, OB, OC, OD. How would you obtain the vector AB from OA and OB?

OK, I did

c-a = < 1,-2,5> - < 4,-3,-3> = < -3,1,8>
b-a = < 7 , 5 , -2 > - < 4,-3,-3> = < 3, 8 ,1>
d-a = <-4,6,-1> - < 4,-3,-3> = < 8,9,2>

Then I did the box product and divided by 6.

< -3,1,8> dot < 8,9,2> cross < 3, 8 ,1> = < -3(9-16) -1(8-6) + 8(64-27)> = 105/2 units^3

V = [ (c-a)(d-a) (b-a)] = 315/6 = 105/2 units^3

?

Hey this is just a suggestion but check the distance between the points, try to find some type of symmetry which can produce the vol

Jbreezy said:
Check that.

<-8,9,2>

Thanks. Is the volume correct. The other parts

Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Four planes intersect in such a way that there is no common point between all four of them but that each set of three has a single common point. The position vectors of the four common points,A,B,C,D are, <-4,-3,-3> ,<7,5,-2>,<1,-2,5>,<-4,6,-1> respectively.

Jbreezy said:
OK, I did

c-a = < 1,-2,5> - < 4,-3,-3> = < -3,1,8>
b-a = < 7 , 5 , -2 > - < 4,-3,-3> = < 3, 8 ,1>

Don't you have ##a## wrong in all three?

LCKurtz said:
Don't you have ##a## wrong in all three?

Yes, I didn't check that. I believe there are also errors in the triple product calculation.

I wrote it wrong origonally it should be a =<4,-3,-3> not a = <-4,-3,-3> Sorry, all the others are correct I double checked though. And I redid the calculation and I got 693/6 units cubed = 231/2 units^3.

Jbreezy said:
I wrote it wrong origonally it should be a =<4,-3,-3> not a = <-4,-3,-3> Sorry, all the others are correct I double checked though. And I redid the calculation and I got 693/6 units cubed = 231/2 units^3.

That's what I got.

Very cool. I will work on part b now. Thank you for the help haruspex and LCKurtz

OK, I think I worked out part b
I will show how I found each of the 4 planes. But in general I need a vector perpendicular to the plane, general points X = < x,y,z> and a point on the plane for each.(b-a) = <7,5,-2> - < 4,-3,-3> = <8,8,1>

(d-a) = <-8,9,2>

(b-a) cross (d-a) = <7,-14,91>
A point on the plane is <-4,6,-1> = d

Then,
<x,y,z> dot <7,-14,91> = <-4,6,-1> dot <7,-14,91>

7x -14y+91z = -203
implies -x +2y -13z = 29

The next one

(c-a) = <1,-2,5> - < 4,-3,-3> = <-3,1-8>

(b-a) = <3,8,1>

(c-a) cross (b-a) = <-63,27,-27>
A point on the plane is <1,-2,5> = c

Then,
<x,y,z> dot <-63,27,-27> = <1,-2,5> dot <-63,27,-27>
-63x +27y-27z = -252
implies 7x -3y+ 3z = 28The next one

(c-a) = <1,-2,5> - < 4,-3,-3> = <-3,1-8>

(d-a) = <-8,9,2>

(c-a) cross (d-a) = <-70,-58,-19>
A point on the plane is <1,-2,5> = d

Then,
<x,y,z> dot <-70,-58,-19> = <1,-2,5> dot <-70,-58,-19>

implies 70x +58y +19z = 49The last one

(c-a) = <1,-2,5> -<-4,6,-1> = <5,-8,6>
(b-a) = <7,5,-2> - <-4,6,-1> = <11,-1,-1>(c-a) cross (b-a) = <14,71,83>

14x +71y +83z = 287Think that is right.

Last edited:
Jbreezy said:
(b-a) = <7,5,-2> - < 4,-3,-3> = <8,8,1>
<3,8,1>, which is what you seem to have used later
7x -14y+91z = -203
implies -x +7y -13z = 29
Another typo?
You can check the answers easily enough by seeing whether the given points satisfy the equations for the planes they're in.

haruspex said:
<3,8,1>, which is what you seem to have used laterAnother typo?
You can check the answers easily enough by seeing whether the given points satisfy the equations for the planes they're in.

Yeah it was a typo. How do you mean check? Process seem right?

Jbreezy said:
Yeah it was a typo. How do you mean check? Process seem right?
Yes, the method's fine.
If you have an equation for a plane that is supposed to pass through A, B, C, you can substitute the coordinates of A for x, y, z in the equation and see whether the point satisfies the equation. Just a check that you've made no arithmetic errors.

Likes 1 person
I found one so far I edited it. I will double check them before again before I have to submit it.
Thanks

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow and can be used to represent physical quantities such as velocity and force.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a 3-dimensional shape?

The volume of a 3-dimensional shape can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the shape. The formula for volume varies depending on the shape, such as V = lwh for a rectangular prism and V = πr²h for a cylinder.

3. What are the different types of plane equations?

The most commonly used plane equation is the standard form, which is Ax + By + Cz = D. Other types include the parametric form, which uses parameters to describe a point on the plane, and the normal form, which uses the normal vector and a point on the plane to describe its equation.

4. How can vectors be added or subtracted?

To add or subtract vectors, we use the parallelogram law or the triangle law. The parallelogram law states that the sum of two vectors can be found by creating a parallelogram using the two vectors and finding the diagonal. The triangle law states that the sum of two vectors can be found by placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector.

5. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar value that represents the projection of one vector onto the other. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The dot product can be used to find the angle between two vectors and to determine if they are orthogonal (perpendicular).