1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity and acceleration problem

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the position vecter r of a particle at a time t is

r = icos t + jsin t +kt show that the magnitudes of the velocity and acceleration vectors are constant. Describe the motion

3. The attempt at a solution

velocity = i(-sint) + j(cost) +k

magnitude is [tex]\sqrt{(-sint)^2 + (cost)^2 + 1}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

acceleration = i(-cos t) - j(sin t)

magnitude is [tex]\sqrt{(-sint)^2 + (-cost)^2 }[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{1}[/tex] = 1

but im not sure how to discribe the motion, at first i was thinking of an object moving at a constant velocity of [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] and to move at a constant velocity it acceleration isn't changing so should that not mean the acceleration is 0 instead of 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You've shown that the particle has a constant speed, not a constant velocity. While the particle moves with constant speed, the direction it's moving continuously changes.

Ignore the z-component for right now. If x=cos t and y=sin t, what path would the particle follow in the xy plane?

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3
    im trying to think about it, it follows a wave, up and down? but can it follow a sin and cos wave at the same time? do they not start from different points? i'm a bit confused

5. Feb 1, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you're given a value of t, you can calculate what x and y equal and plot that point on the xy-plane. Try doing that for, say, t=0, pi/6, pi/4, pi/3, pi/2, 2pi/3, 3pi/4, 5pi/6, pi.

6. Feb 1, 2010 #5
    thanks a million for the replies.

After plotting it out, i think its moving at constant speed,not accelerating around the axis in a circular motion of radius 1?

7. Feb 1, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's moving with constant speed, but it's accelerating because the direction of the velocity is changing with time.

So now add the motion in the z direction back in. So while the x and y coordinates trace out a circle, the z coordinate increases in time at a constant rate. How would you describe that path?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook