Velocity dependent equations and frames of reference

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of frame of reference and how it affects the measurement of velocity-dependent properties, such as wavelength and kinetic energy. The experts explain that these properties are not frame invariant and can have different values in different frames. They also mention the importance of invariants and recommend studying light clocks and Minkowski diagrams for a better understanding of the relativity of simultaneity.
victorhugo
With a velocity dependent equation such as de Broglie's λ=h/mv
There's just so many questions, where do I start...
In your frame of reference, an electron might be standing still but from an outside frame it could be moving at 0.1c
does that mean you'd see different wavelengths? What about when your frame accelerates, does the electron emit EMR?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
victorhugo said:
does that mean you'd see different wavelengths?
Yes, wavelength is not frame invariant just as kinetic energy is not.

victorhugo said:
What about when your frame accelerates, does the electron emit EMR?
No.

Likes victorhugo
Yes, wavelength is not frame invariant just as kinetic energy is not.

Prepare for questions from a level 1 newbie physicist... And of course, thank you so much for always answering my silly questions :)

1. [This question is covered in another thread split off from this one]

2. That makes sense, but does that mean that any velocity/energy dependent property of anything can only be described compared to a certain frame of reference? That is, having different observable characteristics at different frames.

3. So an observer seeing the electron accelerate, just not relative to its own 'spaceship' frame, would not see it emit EMR? To me it seems that it would, maybe I wasn't clear on my question enough. If we were to accelerate the electron alone or inside a jar, why would it make a difference whether it emits EMR or not?

victorhugo said:
That makes sense, but does that mean that any velocity/energy dependent property of anything can only be described compared to a certain frame of reference? That is, having different observable characteristics at different frames.
It does not mean anything else than that it is frame dependent.

victorhugo said:
So an observer seeing the electron accelerate, just not relative to its own 'spaceship' frame, would not see it emit EMR? To me it seems that it would, maybe I wasn't clear on my question enough. If we were to accelerate the electron alone or inside a jar, why would it make a difference whether it emits EMR or not?
You did not specify that the electron was also accelerating.

It does not mean anything else than that it is frame dependent.

Could you please elaborate on that then?

victorhugo said:
Could you please elaborate on that then?
I do not see how this can be misinterpreted. It is not something particular to SR and it is present already in classical mechanics.

Orodruin said:
I do not see how this can be misinterpreted. It is not something particular to SR and it is present already in classical mechanics.
Eg The wavelength (and anything else that is velocity dependent) of a particle is frame dependent? That is, different observers disagree on the wavelength because they observe different velocities?

victorhugo said:
Eg The wavelength (and anything else that is velocity dependent) of a particle is frame dependent? That is, different observers disagree on the wavelength because they observe different velocities?
Obviously, I do not see why you find this strange. Energy is different in different frames already in classical mechanics. Do you have a problem with that?

Orodruin said:
Obviously, I do not see why you find this strange. Energy is different in different frames already in classical mechanics. Do you have a problem with that?
Well, I'm still in school and started learning physics not even 2 years ago. We don't learn about any of this at school, only simple things like projectile motion, torque, basic particle physics etc.
No problems, I'm just finding all relativity strange, as expected.

victorhugo said:
Well, I'm still in school and started learning physics not even 2 years ago. We don't learn about any of this at school, only simple things like projectile motion, torque, basic particle physics etc.
No problems, I'm just finding all relativity strange, as expected.

Well, let us start with velocity itself - it is a measurable quantity. Do you find it strange that it can have different values in different inertial systems?

There is nothing a priori wrong with physical quantities that have different values in different frames. What we require is that the values of the properties obey the same laws in all frames. We like quantities that are the same in all frames (so much that we give them a name, invariants) because we can compute them in any frame and obtain their value in any frame, but they are by no means the only tool in the box.

In that case the light clock is better to study since it allows you to derive the full Lorentz transforms. Those include both length contraction, time dilation and the relativity of simultaneity. After that I recommend looking up Minkowski diagrams, which are a very useful tool for seeing what is going on as viewed in different frames.

Likes victorhugo

1. What is a velocity dependent equation?

A velocity dependent equation is an equation that includes the velocity of an object as a variable. These equations are typically used in physics to describe the motion of objects in relation to their velocity.

2. How do velocity dependent equations differ from other equations?

Unlike other equations, velocity dependent equations take into account the speed and direction of an object's motion. They also consider the frame of reference from which the motion is being observed.

3. What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a coordinate system used to determine the position and motion of an object. It is a reference point from which measurements are taken.

4. How does the choice of frame of reference affect velocity dependent equations?

The choice of frame of reference can affect the values of the variables in a velocity dependent equation. For example, the velocity of an object may appear different depending on whether it is observed from a stationary frame or a moving frame.

5. Can velocity dependent equations be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, velocity dependent equations can be used to describe the motion of objects in a variety of scenarios, including linear motion, circular motion, and rotational motion. These equations are fundamental in understanding the laws of motion and can be applied to both classical and relativistic physics.