• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Velocity distribution functions, find rms velocity

• Thread starter fahmed93
  • Start date
My friends and I have been working on this for the last two hours and we're still on 1a. I'm desperate and I'm going anywhere for help. If anyone's taken/is good at modern physics then please help. We're still in a physics review thing so it's not as complicated. The question is "Using the velocity distribution function, find the formula for the rms velocity."

The starting equation is P(v) = (m/2piKT)^3/2 * 4piV^2 * e ^ (-mv^2/2kT)
where m is mass, k is the boltzmann constant, v is velocity, and t is temperature.

The answer is SQRT(3RT/M)
where R is the universal gas constant, T is temperature and M is molar mass.

Some useful conversions.
K = R/Na
where Na is Avagodro's number

m*Na = M
m = mass, Na = Avagodro's, M = molar mass

and we figured out that you're supposed to integrate it in this equation.
SQRT(integral from 0 to infinity of (v^2 * P(v) dv))
but don't understand how to go from there to the final answer.
PLEASE HELP!

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Welcome to Physics Forums.

My friends and I have been working on this for the last two hours and we're still on 1a. I'm desperate and I'm going anywhere for help. If anyone's taken/is good at modern physics then please help. We're still in a physics review thing so it's not as complicated. The question is "Using the velocity distribution function, find the formula for the rms velocity."

The starting equation is P(v) = (m/2piKT)^3/2 * 4piV^2 * e ^ (-mv^2/2kT)
where m is mass, k is the boltzmann constant, v is velocity, and t is temperature.

The answer is SQRT(3RT/M)
where R is the universal gas constant, T is temperature and M is molar mass.

Some useful conversions.
K = R/Na
where Na is Avagodro's number

m*Na = M
m = mass, Na = Avagodro's, M = molar mass

and we figured out that you're supposed to integrate it in this equation.
SQRT(integral from 0 to infinity of (v^2 * P(v) dv))
but don't understand how to go from there to the final answer.
PLEASE HELP!
That integral is, essentially
[some constants]·vn e-mv2/2kT dv, where n=___?​
integrated from 0 to ∞.

I suggest a change-of-variable, so that the exponential factor becomes simply e-x. You should get an integral that can be looked up, or evaluated numerically.

I would like to add a question here because I am too embarassed to go to my teacher for help. I have a homework problem and I must be doing something wrong on a really basic level because I think I am getting really bad answers.

"Calculate the temperatures for which the molecules x,y,z equal the speed of sound in air 340 m/s"

OK. The question is a little vauge I think because a) molecules never equal speed they travel "WITH" speed and b) at any temperature could a certain molecule reach a certain speed. It is a randomized distribution i.e. Boltzman. OK so smart ones out there, does my H.W. ask for most probable speed or rms speed. And how would i find both? This is how I tried and came up with the wrong answers.

Used maxwell boltzman distribution. Df/dx = 0 when Vp = SQRT(2RT/M) (so says wikipedia: please correct me if I am wrong my book is of no help). So I squared the Vp which i want to be 340 m/s divided through by 2R multiplied by M and calculated. But my answers were in the neighborhood of 3-40 degrees kelvin for hydrogen and helium and water (unless somehow i got units different than kelvin, this answer is rediculus...i think). Wikipedia says Vrms = SQRT(3/2) * Vp which is also low. Am I doing something wrong? Is the correct temperature really so low? 40 degrees kelvin or less. I feel stupid.

So I forgot to tell you, Vp is the most proable velocity.