1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity down an inclined plane

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    Imagine u have a ball on top of an inclined plane. The ball is released, hence initial velocity is zero. Assume that air resistance and friction between the surface and ball is negligible. using kinematic equations, V2=2as, where a=gsinθ, θ is the angle of inclination of the plane and s is the displacement of the ball from the top of the plane. Therefore, V2=2(gsinθ)S. Does it mean that the velocity of the ball is always increasing on its way down since V2 is proportional to S? Does it also means that if u have a infinitely long inclined plane, the velocity of the ball will keep on increasing until the speed of light is attain? Please help me to clear my doubts. Thanks =)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.
    Classically, the speed of the ball will approach infinity, there is no upper speed limit in Newtonian Mechanics. However, you should note that since the equations you have used are derived using Newtonian mechanics they are therefore only valid for relatively low speeds. Once the speed of the ball reaches a significant proportion of c, we have to abandon Newtonian Mechanics and use Special Relativity.

4. Aug 29, 2009 #3
    it really helps me. thx alot for the reply. =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook