Velocity needed to complete a loop

In summary, you need to use energy conservation to figure out how much speed the cart needs to just barely complete the loop without falling off.
Numzie

Homework Statement

Loop with radius 22m is all that is given and the required velocity to complete this loop is asked for.

Homework Equations

What I'm looking for.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried many equations, the answer is 33m/s but I don't know what equations to use to attain it.

Any help with equations would be great,

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to use energy conservation. Take your initial energy before gettig into the loop and your final energy at the top of the loop. What is the condition that the object doesn't fall from the loop? You need to convert your initial kinetic energy into the gravitational potential at the top of the loop and the kinetic energy at the top which you will find from the condition that is required to keep the object from falling.

Hi Numzie! :smile:

The question is rather vague, but I think you're meant to assume that it's an aeroplane, and it's powered, so it can have any velocity, v, that it wants.

So what acceleration is needed to keep it in the circle?

And what velocity is needed to produce that acceleration? :smile:

Numzie said:
Loop with radius 22m is all that is given and the required velocity to complete this loop is asked for.
You really should post the complete problem exactly as it was given to you.

But given the answer that you provided, I suspect that the question is something like this: A cart enters the bottom of a loop. What speed must it have at the bottom to just barely complete the loop without falling off. (The cart is on the inside of the loop.)

Assuming this is accurate, you'll need energy conservation (as stated by EngageEngage), but you'll also need to analyze the force and acceleration acting on the cart at the top of the loop (as tiny-tim suggests).

Doc Al said:
You really should post the complete problem exactly as it was given to you.

But given the answer that you provided, I suspect that the question is something like this: A cart enters the bottom of a loop. What speed must it have at the bottom to just barely complete the loop without falling off. (The cart is on the inside of the loop.)

Assuming this is accurate, you'll need energy conservation (as stated by EngageEngage), but you'll also need to analyze the force and acceleration acting on the cart at the top of the loop (as tiny-tim suggests).

Yes, Doc Al and EngageEngage are right … it's an unpowered cart. :redface:

The answer I get is 33 m/s.

Show us what you've tried, and then we can help you.:smile:

1. What is the definition of "velocity needed to complete a loop"?

The velocity needed to complete a loop is the minimum speed that an object must have in order to successfully complete a circular loop without falling or losing contact with the loop.

2. How is the velocity needed to complete a loop calculated?

The velocity needed to complete a loop can be calculated using the formula v = √(rg), where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the loop, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the radius of the loop affect the velocity needed to complete a loop?

The radius of the loop directly affects the velocity needed to complete a loop. The smaller the radius, the higher the required velocity, and vice versa. This is because a smaller radius creates a tighter curve, requiring a greater centripetal force to maintain circular motion.

4. Is the velocity needed to complete a loop the same for all objects?

No, the velocity needed to complete a loop varies depending on the mass and shape of the object. Objects with a larger mass or a non-uniform shape may require a higher velocity to complete the loop without falling or losing contact.

5. What happens if an object does not have enough velocity to complete a loop?

If an object does not have enough velocity to complete a loop, it will not be able to complete the loop and will either fall or lose contact with the loop. This is due to the fact that the centripetal force is not strong enough to overcome the force of gravity acting on the object.