1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Velocity of longitudinal waves in a solid.

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Our lecturer gave us a general equation for velocity of waves; (where [itex]c=[/itex] wave velocity)
    [tex]c= \sqrt{\frac{\textrm{springiness}}{\textrm{massiness}}}[/tex]
    (Excuse the terms, I'd personally rather have been given the equations here..)

So for transverse waves on a string/wire (where [itex]T=[/itex] Tension and [itex]\mu=[/itex] mass per unit length)
    [tex]c= \sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]
    and for longitudinal waves in a gas (where[itex]B_{ad}=[/itex] the adiabatic bulk modulus and [itex]\rho=[/itex] density)
    [tex]c= \sqrt{\frac{B_{ad}}{\rho}}[/tex]

Where I am stuck is longitudinal waves in a solid, I'm assuming massiness = [itex]\rho[/itex] but am unsure about springiness.

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    So for longitudinal waves in a solid; solving for the dimensions of springiness appears to show that springiness is in Newtons but how does Force correlate to a wave through a solid, or am I missing the point completely?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

hmm, I think you made a mistake in that unit calculation. I get Pascals (N/m^2), a unit of pressure... but I'm not sure what physical quantity that corresponds to, since solids don't really have pressure in the same sense as gasses. This is a particular area of physics in which my knowledge is sadly lacking.

Isn't there a bulk modulus for solids?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook