Velocity over time / 2 questions

In summary, Lillian travels a distance of 2300m at an average velocity of 7.5m/s for a time of 5.0min. The equation used to calculate her distance traveled is distance = velocity x time. Speed and velocity are interchangeable in this case.
rdmfresno

Homework Statement

1. Lillian rides her bicycle along a straight road at an average velocity (v).
(1)Write an equation showing how far she travels in time (t).
(2) If Lillian’s average speed is 7.5m/s for a time of 5.0min, show that she travels a distance of 2300m.

Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

I've read quite a bit in the notes that I've taken and can't find the relevant equation needed to solve both questions. I'm not looking for the "answer" so much. But the equations needed to solve would be amazing. I'll do the work myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does 1 m/s mean, mathematically?

negitron said:
What does 1 m/s mean, mathematically?

1.0 meters per second?

Does that not suggest an equation which relates distance, time and speed?

negitron said:
Does that not suggest an equation which relates distance, time and speed?

speed = meters/time .. so just speed = distance/time.

Correct. Now, you can solve problem #1, at the very least.

I suppose I'm confused about the difference between speed/velocity. Time to read. Thanks a lot for the help!

In this case, speed and velocity are interchangeable. More formally, velocity is a vector quantity which includes speed AND direction but for the purposes of this exercise, you needn't worry about that distinction.

1. What is velocity over time?

Velocity over time, also known as velocity-time graph, is a graphical representation of an object's velocity as it changes over a period of time. It shows the relationship between velocity and time, where the slope of the line represents the acceleration of the object.

2. How is velocity over time calculated?

To calculate velocity over time, you need to divide the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented as v = Δv/Δt, where v is the average velocity, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. This formula can be used to calculate the average velocity for a specific time interval.