1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity squared veurses distance

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've calculated the maximum velocity of a mass at the bottom of a pendulum given various amplitudes. I've also gotten the distance that mass falls from it's angle furthest from the extreme to it's lowest point.
    I'm being asked to graph the maximum velocity squared vs the distance traveled for a bunch of increasing amplitudes and then interpret that graph.

The graph appears to be linear but I have no idea what physical value it could represent. We have not yet learned in physics what m^2/t^2 values represent over m. Could it be maximum accelleration>>?

It'd be great if someone could clear this up for me, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By equating maximum potential energy (v=0) to maximum kinetic energy (h=0) we have:

v^2 = 2gh

where h is the maximum height. So v^2 represents an acceleration x distance (potential energy / unit mass).

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook