Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verbatim: What Is a Photocopier?

1. Apr 29, 2014 #1
    This is bizarrely hilarious!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/opinion/verbatim-what-is-a-photocopier.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yep, that's hilarious.

Poor fellow was probably prepped by the lawyer to be sure he had a VERY exact understanding of any terms used in questions. It's good that lawyers don't normally carry firearms to such depositions, else that guy would undoubtedly have been shot.

4. Apr 30, 2014 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure I want to watch the whole ear-rape, but when the layer says "A photocopying machine can be a machine that uses a photostatic technology, that uses...."

Welcome to Logic, may I take your order?
    Yes, I don't understand that machines that use different technologies for photocopying are subsets of the singular device category "photocopier".
    You want fries with that law degree?
    Happy Meal size, please.

Oy.

5. Apr 30, 2014 #4
    Well, if they had not nailed that down solid and airtight, an agreement instead could have been reached where all scanning of the documnents would in future be free.
    Oh, you want a printout, you didn't say, there is a service charge for that.

6. Apr 30, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's worth waiting for the punchline :smile:

7. May 12, 2014 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have to Russ .... the punch line made laugh out loud ... my co-workers wondered what the joke was

Thanks Greg ... a real hoot!

Dave

8. May 13, 2014 #7
    Nothing bizarre about it. It is hilarious! One of the funniest things I've seen recently. It would have been funny if it was some sketch comedy show but the fact that this is a real conversation, albeit dramatized, makes it so much funnier.

9. May 13, 2014 #8
    omg that ending made me lose it

10. May 15, 2014 #9

FlexGunship

Gold Member

To be fair... we just call it a "copier". And being a relative youngster, the term "photocopy machine" seems to imply to me a machine capable of copying photos (which our copier is, decidedly, not).

11. May 15, 2014 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Did you know photocopiers of any kind are called "ksero" in Poland?

Just like bike is "rower" and vacuum cleaner is "elektroluks". Oh, and instant coffee is "neska".

12. May 15, 2014 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most people nowadays are used to photocopiers being synonymous with Xerox machines which use some type of electrostatic toner that is fused by heat and pressure to a piece of copy paper.

There is much older technology which could also be described as 'photocopying', to wit, the blueprint process, where a specially treated paper has a tracing placed over it, which is then exposed to light. The areas of the treated paper which were exposed to the light have undergone a chemical reaction. The tracing is removed and the treated paper is exposed to ammonia vapor, which causes the unreacted areas of the paper to turn a dark blue, reproducing the image of the tracing, hence the term 'blueprint'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueprint

Before xerography was invented, there was also the 'photostat' process, whereby a photograph of a document was taken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photostat_machine

Like a photograph, a photostat had to be taken using specially treated paper and the image had to be developed by a chemical process.

Full disclosure: I didn't read the entire article or watch the video, but in my experience, it is better sometimes to be precise when dealing with the law than to casually make assumptions about what someone is discussing or inquiring.

13. May 15, 2014 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My step father is from England - he always called a vacuum cleaner a "Hoover"!

That's pretty much how I take it. I did watch the video, and anyone who does should realize it's a dramatization acted out for comedic effect. In law, as in science, the exact meaning of words is extremely important. I think the questioner was purposefully obscuring his intent. He never offered that a "photocopier machine" could also be called a copier or a Xerox machine. I think he had his reasons for this -- lawyers are tricky with words!

Besides, "photocopy machine" sounds antiquated to my ears.

14. May 16, 2014 #13

Curious3141

Homework Helper

For anyone surprised by his being accustomed to referring to a photocopier as a "Xerox machine", do you call aspirin "aspirin" or do you refer to it by its generic name, acetylsalicylic acid (or even more obscurely, by its IUPAC name, 2-acetoxybenzoic acid)? :tongue2:

BTW, the original maker Bayer still holds the trademark on the name "aspirin" in many countries, and where the generic formulation is being used, the use of the moniker "aspirin" is actually incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook