1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verhulst equation - integration problem

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    Verhulst equation -- integration problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate the unforced Verhulst equation over [itex]t[/itex] from [itex]t_{0}-\epsilon[/itex] to [itex]t_{0}+\epsilon[/itex], take the limit [itex]\epsilon \downarrow 0[/itex] and show this lead to the following requirement for the discontinuity in g:

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{\epsilon \downarrow 0}[g(t,t_{0})]^{t_{0}+\epsilon}_{t_{0}-\epsilon}=F_{0}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Unforced Verhulst equation:
    [tex]\dot{g}-g+g^{2}=F_{0} \delta(t-t_{0})[/tex]

Where:
    [tex]g(t)=\frac{1}{Ae^{-t}+1}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

It looks to me that in order to solve this problem I need to show that:
    [tex]\int^{t_{0}+\epsilon}_{t_{0}-\epsilon}g dt=\int^{t_{0}+\epsilon}_{t_{0}-\epsilon}g^{2} dt[/tex]

This will not be true of any function g in general, so we must show that it is true for the function in this problem. i.e. Show that:

[tex]\int^{t_{0}+\epsilon}_{t_{0}-\epsilon}\frac{1}{Ae^{-t}+1} dt=\int^{t_{0}+\epsilon}_{t_{0}-\epsilon}\frac{1}{(Ae^{-t}+1)^{2}} dt[/tex]

Is this along the right lines? This is where I get stuck as I'm not very well practiced in integration. I think I can do the one on the left, but am struggling with the one on the right.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2
    Re: Verhulst equation -- integration problem

Any helpers out there?

Incidentally (for those interested -- and in case you didn't already know) this equation is used in biology to model population dynamics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_function

I'm doind an exercise on the application of Green's functions to nonlinear problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook