1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verifying an Inequality Involving the Complex Exponential Function

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    Demonstrate that ##|e^{z^2}| \le e^{|z|^2}##

We have at our disposal the theorem which states ##Re(z) \le |z|##. Here is my work:

##e^{|z|^2} \ge e^{(Re(z))^2} \iff## By the theorem stated above.

##e^{|z|^2} \ge e^x##

We note that ##y^2 \ge 0##, and that multiplying by ##-1## will give us ##- y^2 \le 0##; adding ##x^2## to both sides gives us ##x^2 - y^2 \le x^2##. Substituting this in gives us

##e^{|z|^2} \ge e^{x^2 - y^2}##. I calculated ##|e^{z^2}|## and found that it was ##e^{x^2-y^2}##. Therefore,

##e^{|z|^2} \ge |e^{z^2}|##

Here is the one issue I see with the proof, but I may have resolved this issue: was the first step justly done? I believe so, and here is why:

##e^{f(z)} \ge e^{g(z)} \iff##

##\ln e^{f(z)} \ge \ln e^{g(z)} \iff##

##f(z) \ge g(z)##.

So, one exponential function is greater than the other when its argument function is greater than the other for all ##z##.

Does this seem correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

That seems reasonable. Just remember that you can only compare real numbers, so if f(z) and g(z) are purely real, you are allowed to use the inequalities.
    You could also get to the result directly by defining ##z=x+iy##, then ##|z| = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}## and ##z^2 = x^2 -2ixy - y^2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted