Verifying Solutions of de Broglie Form of Schr. Eqn

  • Thread starter Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    De broglie Form
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
UrbanXrisis
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
1
I am to show that neither of the two wave functions [tex]\psi_1 (x,t) = M_1 e^{kx-\omega t}[/tex] and [tex]\psi_2 (x,t) = M_2 e^{i(kx-\omega t)}[/tex] solve the de Broglie form of Schr. Eqn:

[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}=i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}[/tex]

for the first wave, i got:

[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} M_1 k^2 e^{kx-wt}=-i \omega \hbar M_1 e^{kx-\omega t}[/tex]

for the second wave, i got:
[tex]\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} M_2 k^2 e^{i(kx-\omega t)}= \omega \hbar M_2 e^{i(kx-\omega t)}[/tex]

i was just wondering if I did these differentiation correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you did the differentiations correctly. I am confused by your task to show that neither function satisfies the Schrödinger equation when in fact both do as you have just shown
 
well, all I have to do is to show that they are not equal. Because if i simplify both of those equations, do not get the de Broglie relation of: [tex]\hbar \omega = \frac{\hbar ^2 k^2}{2m}[/tex]