Verifying Whether A Complex Function Is Differentiable

In summary, the conversation was about determining whether the function ##f(z)=\frac{\overline{z}^2}{z}## is differentiable at the point ##z=0##. The two initial thoughts were to show that the function was not continuous at ##z=0## or to evaluate the limit ##\frac{df}{dz}(z_0)##. It was concluded that the derivative does not exist at ##z=0##, as shown by evaluating the limit and showing that it has different values depending on which angle is approached from.
Bashyboy
The problem is to determine whether the function

##f(z) =
\left\{\begin{array}{l}
\frac{\overline{z}^2}{z}~~~if~~~z \ne 0 \\

0 ~~~if~~~z=0
\end{array}\right.##

is differentiable at the point ##z=0##. My two initial thoughts were to show that the function was not continuous at the point ##z=0##, which is may very well be (I don't know as of yet), or to show that the limit

##\frac{df}{dz} (z_0) = \lim\limits_{z \rightarrow z_0} \frac{f(z)-f(z_0)}{z-z_0}##

exists or does not. However, I am not sure of how to deal with the fact that ##f(z)## is a multi-part function.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I think I may have figured it out. Let me type up my solution, so that it might be verified...

Using the definition of the derivative given in the 1st post,

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } \frac{f(z) - f(z_0)}{z-z_0}##

Because ##z## only closely approaches 0, but is never actually zero, we know that ##f(z)## is evaluated by the first part of the definition:

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } \frac{\frac{\overline{z}^2}{z} - 0}{z-0} \iff##

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } \frac{\overline{z}^2}{z^2} \iff##

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } \left(\frac{\overline{z}}{z}\right)^2##

If we let ##z = r e^{i \theta}##, then

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } \left( \frac{re^{i \theta}}{r e^{- i \theta}} \right)^2 \iff##

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } e^{4 i \theta} \iff##

This limit does not exist, because the it has a different value depending upon which line of angle ##\theta## you travel towards ##0##. Therefore, the derivative does not exist at ##z=0##.

Minor point: Don't use ##\iff## to connect expressions that have the same value. Use = for these situations. ##\iff## is used between statements (usually equation or inequalities) that are equivalent; i.e., that have the same truth values.

1. What is the definition of differentiability for complex functions?

The definition of differentiability for complex functions is similar to that of real functions. A complex function f(z) is said to be differentiable at a point z = a if the limit (as h approaches 0) of [f(a+h) - f(a)]/h exists.

2. How can we determine if a complex function is differentiable at a point?

To determine if a complex function is differentiable at a point, we can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations state that a complex function is differentiable at a point if and only if the partial derivatives of its real and imaginary parts exist and satisfy certain conditions at that point.

3. Can a complex function be differentiable at some points and not at others?

Yes, it is possible for a complex function to be differentiable at some points and not at others. This is because the Cauchy-Riemann equations must be satisfied at each point for a complex function to be differentiable, and these equations may not hold true at every point.

4. What is the relationship between continuity and differentiability of a complex function?

A complex function must be continuous at a point in order to be differentiable at that point. However, a function can be continuous at a point but not differentiable, as the Cauchy-Riemann equations may not be satisfied.

5. How do we verify if a complex function is differentiable using the definition?

To verify if a complex function is differentiable using the definition, we need to compute the limit (as h approaches 0) of [f(a+h) - f(a)]/h and check if it exists. If the limit exists, then the function is differentiable at that point. If the limit does not exist, the function is not differentiable at that point.