1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verifying Whether A Complex Function Is Differentiable

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    The problem is to determine whether the function

##f(z) =
    \left\{\begin{array}{l}
    \frac{\overline{z}^2}{z}~~~if~~~z \ne 0 \\

0 ~~~if~~~z=0
    \end{array}\right.##

is differentiable at the point ##z=0##. My two initial thoughts were to show that the function was not continuous at the point ##z=0##, which is may very well be (I don't know as of yet), or to show that the limit

##\frac{df}{dz} (z_0) = \lim\limits_{z \rightarrow z_0} \frac{f(z)-f(z_0)}{z-z_0}##

exists or does not. However, I am not sure of how to deal with the fact that ##f(z)## is a multi-part function.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2
    Ah, I think I may have figured it out. Let me type up my solution, so that it might be verified...

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3
    Using the definition of the derivative given in the 1st post,

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } \frac{f(z) - f(z_0)}{z-z_0}##

Because ##z## only closely approaches 0, but is never actually zero, we know that ##f(z)## is evaluated by the first part of the definition:

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } \frac{\frac{\overline{z}^2}{z} - 0}{z-0} \iff##

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } \frac{\overline{z}^2}{z^2} \iff##

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } \left(\frac{\overline{z}}{z}\right)^2##

If we let ##z = r e^{i \theta}##, then

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } \left( \frac{re^{i \theta}}{r e^{- i \theta}} \right)^2 \iff##

##\lim\limits_{z \rightarrow 0 } e^{4 i \theta} \iff##

This limit does not exist, because the it has a different value depending upon which line of angle ##\theta## you travel towards ##0##. Therefore, the derivative does not exist at ##z=0##.

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Minor point: Don't use ##\iff## to connect expressions that have the same value. Use = for these situations. ##\iff## is used between statements (usually equation or inequalities) that are equivalent; i.e., that have the same truth values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted