Verlet integration - first iteration

• Thread starter CactusPie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a simulation of projectile motion with air drag using different integration methods. The person is unsure about Verlet integration and asks for help. It is suggested to use a quadratic estimation for the first step and then use Verlet integration from the second step onward.
CactusPie
I'm trying to make a simple simulation of a projectile motion with air drag. I have already implemented it using Euler and fourth order Runge Kutta methods. I am however unsure about Verlet integration. The equation goes as follows:

[tex] r(t + Δt) = 2r(t) - r(t-Δt) + a(t)Δt^2[/tex]

I don't really know what value should I use during first iteration for

[tex]r(t-Δt)[/tex]

Could someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Verlet is one of many "multistep" integration techniques that need past data. As you noted, that past data doesn't exist on the first step. Some other technique, ideally one with comparable error characteristics, needs to be used to bootstrap a multistep integrator. For verlet integration, just use a quadratic estimation for that very first step,
[tex]r(t+\Delta t) = r(t) + v(t)\Delta t + \frac 1 2 a(t)\Delta t^2[/tex]
This has a global error of order 2, which is the same as verlet.

From the second step onward you can use verlet integration.

Thank you very much, that really helped!

1. What is Verlet integration?

Verlet integration is a numerical method commonly used in physics simulations to approximate the motion of objects over time. It is an improvement over the Euler method and can accurately simulate complex movements like collisions and rotations.

2. How does Verlet integration work?

In Verlet integration, the position and velocity of an object are calculated at discrete time steps by using its current position, previous position, and acceleration. This method uses a second-order difference equation, which results in less error and better stability compared to the first-order Euler method.

3. What are the advantages of using Verlet integration?

Verlet integration has several advantages over other numerical methods for physics simulations. It is more accurate, requires less computation time, and is stable even when dealing with complex movements. It also conserves energy, making it suitable for long-term simulations.

4. What are the limitations of Verlet integration?

Although Verlet integration is an improvement over other numerical methods, it still has some limitations. It is not suitable for systems with changing topology, such as objects breaking or merging. It also requires smaller time steps for accurate simulations, which can increase computation time.

5. How can Verlet integration be improved?

There are several ways to improve Verlet integration, depending on the specific application. One approach is to use variable time steps, where the step size is adjusted dynamically based on the acceleration of the object. Another method is to use higher-order difference equations, such as the Velocity Verlet method, which can provide even more accuracy and stability.