1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very brief explanation please? - Newt 2nd Law w/ Circular Motion

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    Consider a conical pendulum with a weight on it and that makes some angle with the vertical. I am told to find the radial acceleration of the weight and someone showed me how it is solved but I don't understand why:

I am told to set

Tsin@ = m(ar) *ar = radial acceleration
    ar = (Tsin@)/m

I was wondering why it would be T*SIN* instead of T*COS*? Tcos@ would give you the force that is parallel with radial acceleration, Tsin@ gives you a force that is perpendicular to the radial acceleration... Please help me! I don't understand this - only should take a few seconds. Thanks! XP

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2
    AHHHH OHHH NEVERMIND! Sorry... *CONICAL* pendulum, lol I was thinking of a regular, 2-D pendulum. I would delete this if I could, but I can't =\ But no need to respond anyone! So silly!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook