Very close binary, strongest steady source of gravitational waves

In summary, a very close binary system is a pair of stars that orbit each other at a distance close enough to produce strong gravitational waves. These waves are the result of the stars' intense gravitational pull on each other, causing them to orbit faster and emit energy in the form of gravitational radiation. This type of binary is considered the strongest and most steady source of gravitational waves, making it a valuable object of study for scientists.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
This paper http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.0658 nails down the interpretation of a binary white dwarf system with an orbital period of only 5.4 minutes, versus 8 hours for the celebrated Hulse-Taylor binary neutron star system. This would probably be the strongest source in the sky of steady sinusoidal gravitational waves. The shortening of the period has been measured with good precision (although not as spectacular as the precision of the Hulse-Taylor system). The masses of the stars are only roughly determined, so it doesn't provide the same kind of high-precision test of GR that the Hulse-Taylor system does.

Physics news on Phys.org
bcrowell said:
This paper http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.0658 nails down the interpretation of a binary white dwarf system with an orbital period of only 5.4 minutes, versus 8 hours for the celebrated Hulse-Taylor binary neutron star system. This would probably be the strongest source in the sky of steady sinusoidal gravitational waves. The shortening of the period has been measured with good precision (although not as spectacular as the precision of the Hulse-Taylor system). The masses of the stars are only roughly determined, so it doesn't provide the same kind of high-precision test of GR that the Hulse-Taylor system does.

Hmmm... still the paper makes the point at the end that this is well within the sensitivity of LISA. To me, detecting ANYTHING is step 1, then calibration would be 2. An early success would be politically expedient.

On a scientific note, I enjoyed that paper, thanks bcrowell, it was very convincing.

It is an interesting look into the world of pixel gathering. What is an 'ephemeris' ?

I enjoyed it too.

Frame Dragger said:
Hmmm... still the paper makes the point at the end that this is well within the sensitivity of LISA. To me, detecting ANYTHING is step 1, then calibration would be 2. An early success would be politically expedient.

Direct detection of gravitational waves would be spectacular. I hadn't realized that there were so many known systems that were actually expected to be detectable by LISA. This paper http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.1778 gives estimates of signals strengths that ought to be detectable (fig. 2 on p. 6). Some of them are predicted to be 100 times stronger than LISA's sensitivity, and a factor of 1000 or more above background.

One thing I don't understand is that the frequencies on the x-axis of that figure don't seem to correspond directly to the periods of the binaries. E.g., RX J0806 is believed to have a period of 5.35 min ( http://eprints.ucl.ac.uk/9415/ ), but it's plotted with a period of about 2.7 min.

I hope LISA gets funded. It would be really cool.

Mentz114 said:
It is an interesting look into the world of pixel gathering. What is an 'ephemeris' ?

I enjoyed it too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeris

I didn't expect this. You ask good questions Mentz, thanks!

@bcrowell: Makes you want to eat plenty of fiber and exercise so as to live a good long life and see the data, doesn't it? ;)

"One thing I don't understand is that the frequencies on the x-axis of that figure don't seem to correspond directly to the periods of the binaries. E.g., RX J0806 is believed to have a period of 5.35 min ( http://eprints.ucl.ac.uk/9415/ ), but it's plotted with a period of about 2.7 min."

In the simplest model, in the gravitational wave point of the view, the two stars are indistinguishable. Therefore after half a period the system looks exactly the same. Therefore the gravitational wave period is half of the system's physical period.

nicksauce said:
In the simplest model, in the gravitational wave point of the view, the two stars are indistinguishable. Therefore after half a period the system looks exactly the same. Therefore the gravitational wave period is half of the system's physical period.

Ahhhh! Thanks! I guess if the system is asymmetric you should get Fourier component at both f and 2f.

If the orbit is elliptical, presumably you'd also get components at higher multiples of f as well?

"If the orbit is elliptical, presumably you'd also get components at higher multiples of f as well? "

I'd assume so, yes. However, it is my understanding that eccentricity is damped out on very short time scales for such strongly gravitational systems. I'm not totally sure about this, though.

nicksauce said:
However, it is my understanding that eccentricity is damped out on very short time scales for such strongly gravitational systems. I'm not totally sure about this, though.

The Hulse-Taylor binary has an eccentricity of 0.617131. Maybe this depends on what is meant by "very short time scales" and "such strongly gravitational systems"...?

Oh I didn't realize it was that high. I suppose about eccentricity damping then.

1. What is a very close binary?

A very close binary is a pair of stars that are orbiting each other at a very close distance, usually less than a few million kilometers.

2. What makes a very close binary the strongest steady source of gravitational waves?

The gravitational force between the two stars in a very close binary is extremely strong due to their close proximity and high masses. This leads to strong and consistent ripples in space-time, known as gravitational waves.

3. How do gravitational waves form in a very close binary?

Gravitational waves are created when the two stars in a very close binary orbit around each other. As they move closer and farther apart, their gravitational pull on each other causes ripples in space-time, which travel outward as gravitational waves.

4. What are the potential impacts of studying very close binaries and their gravitational waves?

Studying very close binaries and their gravitational waves can provide valuable insights into the nature of gravity, the behavior of massive objects in space, and the structure of the universe. It may also lead to advancements in technology, such as more accurate detectors for gravitational waves.

5. Can we observe gravitational waves from very close binaries?

Yes, gravitational waves from very close binaries have been observed by various detectors on Earth, such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) and the Virgo interferometer. These observations have confirmed the existence of gravitational waves and provided valuable data for further research.