Very easy proportions question

• Thread starter iamthewalrus
  • Start date
In summary, Vits found that if x increases by the square root of 2, y decreases by 2. This is consistent with the inverse relationship y = 1/x^2. However, this is not a formal proof, so someone else may be able to provide a better one.
iamthewalrus
hey its been a while since i had to do proportions so i was wondering if someone could show me how to solve a problem like this: if x increases by a factor of square root of 2, y decreases by 2, how are x and y related. just by looking at it, i can see that y = 1/x^2 but can someone show me a formal solution, i can't seem to come up with one!

ty.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Best translation seems to be, directly as:

x*(2^(1/2))=y*(1/2)

But your provided wording may not exactly fit the proportion idea. Anyway, you should transcribe into conventional notation that you can more easily recognize (lack of typesetting here).

hi i tried the approach you suggested but when you solve for y in terms of x using that equation, you get

y = sqrt(2)/x which basically tells me y is inversely proportional to x whereas it is clear y is inversely proportional the square of x...

iamthewalrus, possibly I mishandled the original translation. I will rethink this but someone else will probably respond before I do.

IamtheWalrus, if you use Symbolipont's relationship, you should find that

[tex]y = 2\sqrt{2} x[/tex]

Is this more helpful?

hi Varnick, thanks for your reply and you're right that's what symbolipoint's equation implies but it's not the correct answer. firstly, if y goes down when x goes up, wouldn't that suggest already some type of inverse relationship? the right answer is supposed to be y = 1/x^2 which seems to be more consistent with the conditions I initially stated.

Where have you got this answer from? It does not appear to be consistent with your initial post (your first post would describe a relationship between y and x, not y and x squared).

V

its from an MCAT question that asked about the relationship between intensity and f-stop of a camera. i just replaced the variables with y and x. and it seems plausible that if x increased by the square root of 2, y would decrease by 2 would describe a relationship where y = 1/x^2. that is, if x increases by sqrt(2), y decreases by [sqrt(2)]^2 = 2. anyways, that was the answer and it appears correct but it did not provide a formal proof for it.

sorry posted on a friends account.

1. What is a proportion?

A proportion is a statement that two ratios or fractions are equal.

2. How do you solve a proportion?

To solve a proportion, you need to cross-multiply the two fractions and then solve for the missing value.

3. What is the easiest way to find the missing value in a proportion?

The easiest way to find the missing value in a proportion is to use the cross-multiplication method.

4. Can you give an example of a proportion?

Yes, for example, 2/4 = 3/6 is a proportion because both fractions simplify to 1/2.

5. How are proportions used in real life?

Proportions are used in many real-life situations, such as cooking, baking, and scaling recipes, as well as in financial planning and calculations, like calculating interest rates or tax rates.