1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very Elementary Group Theory Problem

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    Hi. I'm new to Group Theory and wanted to see if I had the right train of thought for this problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let S be a set with an associative law of composition and with an identity element. Prove that the subset of S consisting of invertible elements is a group.

2. Relevant equations

A group is a set G together with a law of composition that is associative and has an identity element, and such that every element of G has an inverse.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'll denote my subset of S by G.

I know G has the identity element of S as the identity element is invertible.

The associativity for the law of composition is inherited and the existence of inverses we get for free. All that I'm left with is verifying that G has closure. That is for a,b in G, ab is in G.

It's sufficient to show ab is invertible.

But, [tex](ab)(b^{-1}a^{-1})=e[/tex]

where e is the identity element. So [tex]ab[/tex] is invertible and thus is an element of G and G is a group.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2
    Not sure why my tex code isn't working...

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Use [ tex] and [ /tex] (without the spaces). Don't use [ latex] and [/ latex].

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think [itex] works too. The problem is the wrong slash.

6. Sep 14, 2010 #5
    Thanks. I think I got it now (the tex code that is).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook