1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very Hard Integral (from int Coulomb) with -3/2 power + others

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to directly calculate the electric field (using Coulomb) at some arbitrary point P(0,0,z). The charge is evenly distributed over the surface of a sphere (radius R, charge density σ). Here I use θ for the polar angle and p for the azimuthal angle.

I will leave out the messy details, but I know by symmetry only projection onto z-axis is relevant. I also determined the angle ψ (that between separation vector π and the z-axis) in terms of z,R,θ, and π.

2. Relevant equations

E(alongz) = (4∏ε0) ∫02∏0 [σR^2 sinθ (z - Rcosθ)] / (R^2 + z^2 - 2Rzcosθ)^(3/2) dθ dp

3. The attempt at a solution

∫dp → 2∏
    removing 2∏R^2σ constants out from integrand

0 [(z - Rcosθ)sinθ] / (R^2 + z^2 - 2Rzcosθ)^(3/2) dθ

using u-substitution:
    u = cosθ du= -sinθ dθ
    θ = 0 → u = 1
    θ = ∏ → u =-1

and reversing the limits of integration gives (ignoring constants out front):

-11 (z - Ru) / (R^2 + z^2 - 2Rzu)^(3/2) du​
    (#1)

→according to solutions manual→ this works out to:

z^-2 [(z-R) / |z-R| - (-z-R) / |z+R|]​
    (#2)

The manual says:
    Does anyone have any idea how you would use partial fractions to go from (1) to (2)??

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't see how to use partial fractions here either, but how about a substitution t2 = R2+z2-2Rzu?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook