Very restricted in undergrad options, need advice

In summary, this online degree is not going to be a good investment. It's not accredited, has very little to do with electrical engineering, and may not prepare you well for the tests you'll need to get into a physical engineering program.
jonq1987 said:
I don't care about that, I learned a long time ago not to pay attention to those reviews. It's the same with university of phoenix but I went there and i loved it.

Also one of the things I liked about teaching at UoP is that you had a high quality of students. I taught an intro algebra course, and the people there were in their 30's with a lot of ex-military, and so I had to do a lot less (actually no) babysitting, which is an issue in most traditional colleges classes. Occasionally, you'd have one or two whiners, but the courses are set up so that the other students were able to take care of the whiners so I didn't have to.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geezer said:
If it's not ABET accredited, THEN IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY!

Not true for electrical engineering and software engineering. No one cares if you are ABET accredited. In those fields, people actually don't care much how you got your knowledge. I've been able to get jobs as an application programmer, not withstanding the fact that I've only taken only one computer course in my life, and you can take it online if you want (google for MIT 6.001).

Credentials don't count for very much in the software world, because it's easy to test for knowledge, there are people with Ph.D.'s in CS that can't program and college dropouts that can (Bill Gates).

This can work both ways. You could spend massive amounts of money getting a EE/CS degree and then find it's useless because you don't have the skills to pass an interview and no one cares that you have a degree.

twofish-quant said:
Not true for electrical engineering and software engineering. No one cares if you are ABET accredited. In those fields, people actually don't care much how you got your knowledge. I've been able to get jobs as an application programmer, not withstanding the fact that I've only taken only one computer course in my life, and you can take it online if you want (google for MIT 6.001).

Credentials don't count for very much in the software world, because it's easy to test for knowledge, there are people with Ph.D.'s in CS that can't program and college dropouts that can (Bill Gates).

This can work both ways. You could spend massive amounts of money getting a EE/CS degree and then find it's useless because you don't have the skills to pass an interview and no one cares that you have a degree.

I can only speak on what I've seen but every software and electrical engineer job I have seen always says you need a degree. I have yet to come across someone who will hire on knowledge alone.

jonq1987 said:
I can only speak on what I've seen but every software and electrical engineer job I have seen always says you need a degree. I have yet to come across someone who will hire on knowledge alone.

I'm currently working in a job that was posted as 'requires Computer Science Bachelors or similar degree' without having a college degree. But I also have a dozen years experience doing this, so they looked past it. I'm sure anyone with sufficient skills would have been evaluated, even without a degree.

mege said:
I'm currently working in a job that was posted as 'requires Computer Science Bachelors or similar degree' without having a college degree. But I also have a dozen years experience doing this, so they looked past it. I'm sure anyone with sufficient skills would have been evaluated, even without a degree.

well with that much work experience of course that makes sense. But today I feel a person my age would be hard pressed to find a job with no credentials. (I'm 23) But I come from the medical field so I guess I just look at it like that because of our requirements.

jonq1987 said:
well with that much work experience of course that makes sense. But today I feel a person my age would be hard pressed to find a job with no credentials. (I'm 23) But I come from the medical field so I guess I just look at it like that because of our requirements.

You do have to start somewhere, though, was more my point. Getting into a job that 'requires a degree' is a bit of a misnomer for (I think) most jobs out there. You will have to start somewhere though, with a little bit of experience, and work your way up.

Maybe I overlooked it, but what do you really want to do? What is your ideal career?

mege said:
You do have to start somewhere, though, was more my point. Getting into a job that 'requires a degree' is a bit of a misnomer for (I think) most jobs out there. You will have to start somewhere though, with a little bit of experience, and work your way up.

Maybe I overlooked it, but what do you really want to do? What is your ideal career?

Well I would love to work for the government or big name private sector companies. Of course i can't just instantly work there without job experience, but that's what I'm aiming for.

jonq1987 said:
Well I would love to work for the government or big name private sector companies. Of course i can't just instantly work there without job experience, but that's what I'm aiming for.

Doing what? I'm sure they all hire janitors. :p (however, I'm guessing that's not your career goal)

mege said:
Doing what? I'm sure they all hire janitors. :p (however, I'm guessing that's not your career goal)

lol well I don't have a clear picture of that just yet, but as I go through school i will learn what I enjoy more and I will decide then.

jonq1987 said:
lol well I don't have a clear picture of that just yet, but as I go through school i will learn what I enjoy more and I will decide then.

Then, unfortunately, I think that I can only parrot what some have already said: the online route may not be in your best interests. This esspecially if you're unsure what you want to do. Online degrees offered by (mainly) for profit schools have very tight curriculums that are non-transferable and may not even apply within their own school for a different (even though similar) degree. Not to mention they're incredibly expensive when compared to 2 years of community college and 2 years of traditional University. Most community colleges have a lot of 'online' classes that you can take which might make going to school easier. There will still be some classes, esspecially the more 'technical', that you'll need to take live, but any of the english, history, and other geneds can probably be taken online reducing your time away from home. Also, I know the community college near me has free day care for students - which is a huge perk and maybe something that can help you.

mege said:
Then, unfortunately, I think that I can only parrot what some have already said: the online route may not be in your best interests. This esspecially if you're unsure what you want to do. Online degrees offered by (mainly) for profit schools have very tight curriculums that are non-transferable and may not even apply within their own school for a different (even though similar) degree. Not to mention they're incredibly expensive when compared to 2 years of community college and 2 years of traditional University. Most community colleges have a lot of 'online' classes that you can take which might make going to school easier. There will still be some classes, esspecially the more 'technical', that you'll need to take live, but any of the english, history, and other geneds can probably be taken online reducing your time away from home. Also, I know the community college near me has free day care for students - which is a huge perk and maybe something that can help you.

Well i already called the school I plan to go to for grad school and they said the degree I'm getting and the school I'm getting it at is more than welcome.

Did you ask how many classes you would have to make up before you could begin your grad school courses? They may allow it, but they may also muscle you into doing two years of catch up while they convert your precious youth to slave labor for research purposes.

I would just have to make up some math and science.. like more advanced physics and calc.