Very tricky Fourier transform

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating a complex integral using function theory. The speaker is trying to calculate the integral by substituting p for z and moving the singularities in the complex plane. However, this results in two contour integrals, one around the singularity in the upper plane and one over the singularity in the lower plane. The speaker then suggests switching to polar coordinates, but is unable to progress due to the integration over theta. Another person questions how this is a Fourier Transform and the speaker states that the integral does not converge.
MichealM
I'm trying to evaluate the following intergral using complex function theory:
\begin{equation}
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{i(ap+aq+b\sqrt{k^2-p^2-q^2})}}{\sqrt{k^2-p^2-q^2}}dpdq
\end{equation}I though that it is possible if i can calculate:
\begin{equation}
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{i(az+b\sqrt{k^2-p^2})}}{\sqrt{k^2-p^2}}dp
\end{equation}

I'm trying to go around the singularity as follows:

1. Substitute p=z to work in the complex plane
2. Move one pole up to k+iγ and after the integration add a limit of γ going to zero and similarly move the other singularity downward.
3. Which results in two contour integrals in the complex plane one around the singularity in the upper plane plus an over the singularity in lower plane.

This enables me to express the integration into the following integral in the complex plane:
\begin{equation}
\lim_{\gamma \rightarrow 0} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{i(ap+b\sqrt{k^2-z^2})}}{\sqrt{k+i \gamma+z}\sqrt{k-i \gamma-z}}dz
\end{equation}

But when I integrate the contour around the singularity I seem to get zero, which isn't right I think.

Kind Regards,
Micheal

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I suggest that you switch to polar coordinates.

I already tried that and I got

\begin{equation}
\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{e^{i(a r\ cos\theta +ar\ sin \theta +b\sqrt{k^2-r^2})}}{\sqrt{k^2-r^2}}r sin \theta drd\theta
\end{equation}
But this doesn’t bring me further, because of the integration over $\theta$... I think

How is this a Fourier Transform?

I don't think this integral converges. Here's my analysis:
$$
\iint _{\mathbb{R}^2}\!{\frac {{{\rm e}^{i \left( x+y+\sqrt {k-{x
}^{2}-{y}^{2}} \right) }}}{\sqrt {k-{x}^{2}-{y}^{2}}}}{dx}{dy}
=\iint_{\mathbb{R}^2}\!{\frac {\cos \left( x+y+\sqrt {k-{x}^{2}-y^2}
\right) }{\sqrt {k^2-{x}^{2}-{y}^{2}}}}{dx}{dy}+i\iint_{\mathbb{R}^2}\!{\frac {\sin \left( x+y+\sqrt {k-{x}^{2}-{y}^2}
\right) }{\sqrt {k^2-{x}^{2}-{y}^{2}}}}{dx}{dy}.
$$
The neither of the above integrals converge...

Last edited:

1. What is a Fourier transform and how does it work?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to break down a complex signal into its component frequencies. It works by converting a signal from its original time or spatial domain into its frequency domain, representing the signal as a sum of sine and cosine waves with different amplitudes and frequencies.

2. What makes the Fourier transform tricky?

The Fourier transform can be tricky because it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as complex numbers, trigonometry, and integrals. It also involves complex calculations and can be difficult to interpret at times.

3. How is the Fourier transform used in science?

The Fourier transform has a wide range of applications in science, including signal processing, image analysis, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to analyze and interpret complex data.

4. What are some common challenges when using the Fourier transform?

Some common challenges when using the Fourier transform include dealing with noisy data, choosing the appropriate frequency resolution, and understanding the limitations of the transform. It also requires careful consideration of the signal's properties and choosing the right type of transform for the specific application.

5. Are there any alternative methods to the Fourier transform?

Yes, there are alternative methods to the Fourier transform, such as the wavelet transform, which is better suited for analyzing signals with localized variations in frequency and amplitude. Other methods include the Laplace transform, Z-transform, and Hilbert transform, each with its own advantages and applications.