• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Viability of International Degrees (from the US perspective)

At the moment, I am accepted to a few universities for statistics and data science programs (I was told there were a fair number of data scientists on this forum and the question applies more generally as well). One of these programs is in Finland at the University of Helsinki. I'm incredibly interested in this program, but have various concerns as opposed to the other school I'm primarily looking into in the states.

As far as global rankings go, the program at Helsinki is ranked a few hundred places higher globally in statistics, computer science, and overall ratings. The program also aligns more closely to what I am currently thinking of pursuing. However, since I will likely still be looking for careers in the states and Helsinki isn't a university I had even heard of until looking for different programs, I'm concerned with how the masters degree will be perceived state-side. Does anyone have any information about whether it could potentially cause issues, it could actually be overall beneficial, or that it would really not make a slight difference? I've read other articles online, but things kind of seem split based upon articles and personal comments I've seen.

f95toli

Science Advisor
Gold Member
University of Helsinki is AFAIK I know a very good university (not that I've ever been there, the only university I've been to in Finland is Aalto University). It is a very well known university in my area (low temperature physics).

it is obviously not as famous as say Oxford or ETH; but it is very well established and I doubt there would be any direct "issues" as such. I certainly know if a few people who graduated there and ended up working in the USA,

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
University of Helsinki is AFAIK I know a very good university
There is also a special attitude in Europe: students who studied (anywhere) abroad level generally higher than those who stayed at home. It shows that they are willing to cope with situations outside their comfort zone and possibly even learnt another language. However, I do not know how American employers see this. I have a bit of a prejudice that they do not share this opinion.

I do not know how American employers see this. I have a bit of a prejudice that they do not share this opinion.
All I can say is, where I work, the college/university has almost no effect on the hiring decision. This is industry hiring, non-academia. We have hired world-wide: India, Russia, Germany, England, China, Canada... Including mixed-cases (e.g., Chinese national with Canadian degree). Sure, if the interviewer and prospect happen to share their alma mater, that gives them something to break the ice.

But really, after your first year or two with the company, the knowledge and skills needed have been learned on the job. So where you went to school fades even more.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
But really, after your first year or two with the company, the knowledge and skills needed have been learned on the job. So where you went to school fades even more.
That's why the alma mater isn't the essential information in my argument, but the alacrity to discover unknown territory, which is a property of character, not of location, and which thus does matter.

That's why the alma mater isn't the essential information in my argument, but the alacrity to discover unknown territory, which is a property of character, not of location, and which thus does matter.
Aha, I see your point better now. Yes, I agree this is a positive property, and I think most would agree.