Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Vigorous exercise?

1. Jan 5, 2010 #1
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704350304574638331243027174.html

Doesn't sound like vigorous exercise to me at all. How on earth can biking at a speed of 10 miles an hour be vigorous exercise? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I think they are just setting an arbitrary limit to make it clear that it shouldn't be leisurely biking. But yeah, 10mph on pavement with a good road bike is pretty leisurely. 10mph in the dirt on a MTB can sometimes be taxing, though, depending on how soft the ground is.

I think they are trying to list activities that elevate the heart rate and respiration rate significantly. The gardening one threw me a bit, but there have been some ditches and such that I've dug that elevated my CV rate...

4. Jan 5, 2010 #3
    Agreed, as to why 10 mph--IIRC drag is pretty much negligible from 0 to 10, and then it gets quadratic. Likely a Reynolds number phenomenon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook