Virginia Universities: Finding the Best Math & Physics Program

• Schools
  • Thread starter ActionPotential
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universities
In summary, the conversation is about a community college student who is planning to transfer to a Virginia university. They are unsure which university is best for their desired major in mathematics and physics. Recommendations are made to talk to professors, contact departments, and consider attending conferences at the potential universities. It is also suggested to look into transfer articulation agreements between the community college and the universities. Additional information is shared about available agreements and the student expresses gratitude for the support and information.
ActionPotential
I am a community college student, that will be soon transferring into a Virginia University. However, I am uncertain which university is best. I want to pursue a major in mathematics and physics, and I have been considering either Virginia Tech, or University of Virginia. I am uncertain which has a better program for these (although I am assuming Virginia Tech), or if there are other universities in Virginia that would be an even better option.

Thank you for your suggestions, and information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

My suggestion is to talk to a couple of the mathematics/physics professors at your community college and see what their opinions are about UVA vs VT for a mathematics/physics major.

In addition, contact the departments!

Most mathematics/physics departments are always looking for a few more mathematics/physics majors and would probably be more than happy to answer your questions.

Finally, consider contacting some of the students, either undergrad or grad and ask them about their experiences and fields of focus at that university.

In addition, I am sure you are already aware of the tranfer articulation agreements for the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) which make the transfer process more seemless for the Virginia CC student. These are nice to keep in mind when applying to either.

Also, consider the following mathematics competitions since you are mathematics major,

The Virginia Tech Regional Mathematics Contest
http://math.vt.edu/events/competitions/Vtregional/index.html

The National "Putnam Exam" offered by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
http://math.scu.edu/putnam/

Lastly, if you can visit Virginia Tech October 20th, the Society of Physics Students (SPS) Zone 4 conference for the Virginia region and surrounding states will be happening that day with many undergraduates (physics majors) presenting at that conference. That should a good opportunity to get more exposure to the physics field and Virginia Tech (in all its physics goodness).

-PFStudent

Last edited by a moderator:
PFStudent said:
Hey,

My suggestion is to talk to a couple of the mathematics/physics professors at your community college and see what their opinions are about UVA vs VT for a mathematics/physics major.

In addition, contact the departments!

Most mathematics/physics departments are always looking for a few more mathematics/physics majors and would probably be more than happy to answer your questions.

Finally, consider contacting some of the students, either undergrad or grad and ask them about their experiences and fields of focus at that university.

In addition, I am sure you are already aware of the tranfer articulation agreements for the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) which make the transfer process more seemless for the Virginia CC student. These are nice to keep in mind when applying to either.

Also, consider the following mathematics competitions since you are mathematics major,

The Virginia Tech Regional Mathematics Contest
http://math.vt.edu/events/competitions/Vtregional/index.html

The National "Putnam Exam" offered by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
http://math.scu.edu/putnam/

Lastly, if you can visit Virginia Tech October 20th, the Society of Physics Students (SPS) Zone 4 conference for the Virginia region and surrounding states will be happening that day with many undergraduates (physics majors) presenting at that conference. That should a good opportunity to get more exposure to the physics field and Virginia Tech (in all its physics goodness).

-PFStudent

Unfortunately, Tidewater doesn't have any articulation agreements with Virginia Tech or University of Virginia. I think their agreements are with Old Dominion University, Longwood, and some other one, that I do not want to go to.

I have sent the departments e-mails a few times, but they have yet to respond. I was also considering William and Mary. I will continue to e-mail and look into their programmes, but if anybody has any other information, suggestions, or anecdotes, i'd love to hear it.

Hey,

The website below lists direct transfer agreements of Tidewater Community College.

http://www.tcc.edu//academics/programs/transfer/agree.htm

However because TCC is part of the VCCS system, the agreements VCCS has also apply to TCC students. (Ask a trasnfer counselor if you are doubtful of this.)

They are listed at the following link, including the VCCS agreements with UVA, VT, and W&M.

http://www.vccs.edu/guaranteedtransfer/tabid/257/default.aspx

-PFStudent

PFStudent said:
Hey,

The website below lists direct transfer agreements of Tidewater Community College.

http://www.tcc.edu//academics/programs/transfer/agree.htm

However because TCC is part of the VCCS system, the agreements VCCS has also apply to TCC students. (Ask a trasnfer counselor if you are doubtful of this.)

They are listed at the following link, including the VCCS agreements with UVA, VT, and W&M.

http://www.vccs.edu/guaranteedtransfer/tabid/257/default.aspx

-PFStudent

This is fantastic. I appreciate your continued support and information. I had no idea this existed!

Thanks! I will keep looking into this.

What are the top universities in Virginia for math and physics programs?

The top universities in Virginia for math and physics programs are University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, College of William & Mary, George Mason University, and James Madison University.

What factors should I consider when choosing a math and physics program in Virginia?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a math and physics program in Virginia include the quality of the faculty, research opportunities, available resources and facilities, internship and career opportunities, and the overall program curriculum.

What is the difference between a math program and a physics program?

A math program typically focuses on theoretical and abstract concepts, while a physics program focuses on the application of math to understand the physical world. Math programs typically cover topics such as algebra, calculus, and geometry, while physics programs cover topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

Are there any specialized math and physics programs offered in Virginia?

Yes, there are several specialized math and physics programs offered in Virginia. Some examples include computational mathematics, astrophysics, and engineering physics programs, which provide a more focused and in-depth education in a particular subfield.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of math and physics programs in Virginia?

Graduates of math and physics programs in Virginia have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in research and development, engineering, data analysis, finance, and teaching. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in fields such as physics, engineering, or computer science.