Virtual Ground Voltage Reference

• Thread starter teroenza
  • Start date
I'm building an Arduino voltage logger that includes an op-amp (OP27G) as a buffer on the input. Since I'd like to be able to measure voltages all the way down to zero, I want to power the amp with a bipolar supply. My initial thought was to build the rail-splitter below so I wouldn't have to come up with two discreet (plus and minus) supplies.
http://www.goldpt.com/virtual_ground_circuit.html

My question is, if I power the OP27 with the virtual ground circuit above, then the voltage logger won't function correctly unless the voltage I'm trying to measure is also referenced to that virtual ground? I was hoping to use the logger to record voltages from various sources.

berkeman

Mentor
I've found floating grounds like that to be problematic. Have you looked at the LM324 family of opamps? Its input voltage range includes ground. I use an LM324 input opamp stage to shift the input signal up to some reference voltage first, and then process the signal from there...

Last edited:
Thanks. The virtual ground circuit is a neat idea, but I'd like to avoid the complexity if possible.

Thanks. If temperatures exceed the commercial range for me, I'll have bigger problems than the amp :-)

berkeman

Mentor
LOL :biggrin:

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've found floating grounds like that to be problematic.
I've never had anything to work correctly with an offset ground reference. Well, maybe a simple MOS circuit could work with one.