Virtual Ground Voltage Reference

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a virtual ground circuit in an Arduino voltage logger with an op-amp, as well as considering the LM324 family of opamps as an alternative. The speaker also mentions potential issues with floating grounds and the temperature range of the LM324.
teroenza
I'm building an Arduino voltage logger that includes an op-amp (OP27G) as a buffer on the input. Since I'd like to be able to measure voltages all the way down to zero, I want to power the amp with a bipolar supply. My initial thought was to build the rail-splitter below so I wouldn't have to come up with two discreet (plus and minus) supplies.
http://www.goldpt.com/virtual_ground_circuit.html

My question is, if I power the OP27 with the virtual ground circuit above, then the voltage logger won't function correctly unless the voltage I'm trying to measure is also referenced to that virtual ground? I was hoping to use the logger to record voltages from various sources.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've found floating grounds like that to be problematic. Have you looked at the LM324 family of opamps? Its input voltage range includes ground. I use an LM324 input opamp stage to shift the input signal up to some reference voltage first, and then process the signal from there...

Last edited:
Thanks. The virtual ground circuit is a neat idea, but I'd like to avoid the complexity if possible.

Likes berkeman
Thanks. If temperatures exceed the commercial range for me, I'll have bigger problems than the amp :-)

LOL :biggrin:

berkeman said:
I've found floating grounds like that to be problematic.
I've never had anything to work correctly with an offset ground reference. Well, maybe a simple MOS circuit could work with one.

Likes berkeman

What is a Virtual Ground Voltage Reference?

A Virtual Ground Voltage Reference is a circuit used to provide a stable and accurate voltage reference for electronic devices. It is commonly used in analog circuits to establish a common reference point for voltage measurements.

How does a Virtual Ground Voltage Reference work?

A Virtual Ground Voltage Reference works by using an operational amplifier (op-amp) to create a virtual ground at its inverting input. This allows the non-inverting input to be connected to a stable voltage source, while the output of the op-amp acts as the reference voltage.

What are the advantages of using a Virtual Ground Voltage Reference?

One of the main advantages of using a Virtual Ground Voltage Reference is that it eliminates the need for a physical ground connection. This can be especially useful in situations where a ground connection is not readily available. Additionally, it provides a stable and accurate reference voltage for precise measurements.

What are the limitations of a Virtual Ground Voltage Reference?

One limitation of a Virtual Ground Voltage Reference is that it requires an external power supply to function. This can add complexity to a circuit and may increase cost. Additionally, the output voltage may drift over time and temperature, leading to potential inaccuracies in measurements.

In what applications is a Virtual Ground Voltage Reference commonly used?

A Virtual Ground Voltage Reference is commonly used in applications where precise voltage measurements are required, such as in instrument amplifiers, data acquisition systems, and sensor circuits. It is also used in battery-powered devices where a physical ground connection may not be available.