Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual Machines: Do you have one ? Xen,VMware, Virtual Box

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    Virtual Machines: Do you have one ??? Xen,VMware, Virtual Box

Hi .... all ...

Do you have a virtual machine ??? (XEN, VMware, VirtualBox, or any other ...) ... please give more info on how you are using it ???

I''m trying to find out what are the different ways to use them ???...

how are people actually using this technology ....

anything obscure ... or random please give more info ...

thanks ...

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9LZCZKB [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Re: Virtual Machines: Do you have one ??? Xen,VMware, Virtual Box

I use VirtualPC to run old MSDOS games under Windows XP. One shortcoming is that there is no support for USB gaming controllers. It's also slower than native mode, but the old games ran on much slower system, so that's not an issue. Other alternatives for gaming are DOSBOX and GliDos.

4. Nov 30, 2009 #3

So you are running MSDOS as a virtual instance ??? ... : ] ...

Cool ...

5. Nov 30, 2009 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Dec 4, 2009 #5

The last time I used anything virtualization was to set up a sandbox for broken software. We had some process control software that needed to have different incompatible configurations for different situations for one user. Switching between the two configurations took reinstallation and some extra steps. Any misstep and it ate our data. It was easier to just have another copy of Windows running in VirtualBox with the second configuration ready to go.

7. Dec 4, 2009 #6

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I use virtualization every day with VMWare Workstation. I can't live without it.

Both my Mac and PC have linux instances running. I generally have both a server and and a workstation instance running. This is mainly for cross-platform compilation and deployment testing.

My brother is a network engineer and he has 10+ instances running of virtual network configurations.

Tons of companies are consolidating their servers using virtualization. Data centers are getting extremely dense these days.

Also, a common thing IT consultants do to keep projects from different clients from 'contaminating' each other is to give each client their own sandbox.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook