Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viscoelastic properties of hydrogels (DMA)

1. May 25, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I am a Bachelor Student of biomedical engineering and I have a question regarding the complex compressive modulus. I am really a newbie in this field, hopefully somebody can help me.
    I have measured four different hydrogel films to compare with the same conditions using a dynamic mechanical analyzer (DMA, measured in compression mode with a sinusoidal deformation of constant amplitude, ε=0.1%).
    Now the results show that the materials that have the highest storage modulus also have the highest tan δ, which is a bit confusing to me as I though when measuring viscoelastic materials with a DMA it should always the other way round (so the ones with the highest E' should have the lowest tan δ). I am attaching E', E'' and tan delta graphs so you see what I mean.
    Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2

Chestermiller

Insights Author

Staff: Mentor

The storage modulus is an absolute quantity, and tan δ, the ratio of the loss modulus to the storage modulus is a relative quantity. So it isn't really relevant to compare the storage modulus of a given material to its tan δ . The tan δ in the figures appears to be roughly decreasing with frequency, which is what would be expected.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted