How could Euler have gone about creating his buckling formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses the method or process that Euler may have followed to come up with elegant solutions and formulas, such as the pi factor and the use of a square instead of a cube in the denominator. It is suggested that Euler's commitment and dedication to hard work may have been the key to his success. The conversation also mentions a specific formula related to Euler's critical load, modulus of elasticity, minimum area moment of inertia, and unsupported length of column, and provides a link to a mathematical derivation. Additionally, it mentions the practical application of the Euler column in a machine.
musicgold
TL;DR Summary
How do some scientist go about finding seemingly simple and elegant formulas to describe complicated situations?
Admittedly Euler was a genius and I am a noob, but I sometimes feel that there must have been a method or process that he followed to go about such problems and came up with these elegant solutions. It couldn't have been just a sudden flash of genius. For example, I wonder how he could have come up with the pi factor or why a square and not a cube for the denominator. If I were to grapple with a `100 times simpler problem, how could I go about creating a formula?

{\displaystyle P_{cr}={\frac {\pi ^{2}EI}{(KL)^{2}}}}

where
{\displaystyle P_{cr}}
, Euler's critical load (longitudinal compression load on column),
E
, modulus of elasticity of column material,
I
, minimum area moment of inertia of the cross section of the column,
L
, unsupported length of column,
K
, column effective length factor

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know this specific formula, i assume its something from beam theory which i am not good at. But anyway I believe the method or process that Euler followed was simply his commitment and dedication to hard work. Einstein said that genius is 99% hard work and only 1% talent. Certainly Euler had that 1% talent factor but his hard work is indisputable. Even when Euler got totally blind from both eyes, he didn't stop working for science, discovering new things. So i just think that was his secret process/method, serious and hard work.

Likes Lnewqban
There is a mathematical derivation for that formula. Search Euler column buckling. The Wikipedia link has a derivation that looks like something I saw in a strength of materials class a long time ago, then promptly forgot. Note also the assumptions that go into it.

BTW, I once used an Euler column as an overload spring in a machine. We needed a light weight pushrod that would buckle with a force of about 8 lbs. The Euler column formula really does work. The pushrod was designed for 8 lbs, and it buckled at 8 lbs.

Likes vanhees71, etotheipi and Paul Colby

1. What is Euler's buckling formula?

Euler's buckling formula is a mathematical equation that calculates the critical load at which a slender column will suddenly buckle or collapse under compressive stress. It is based on the relationship between the column's length, cross-sectional area, and material properties.

2. How did Euler come up with his buckling formula?

Euler developed his buckling formula in the mid-18th century by studying the behavior of slender columns under compressive loads. He used the principles of calculus and mechanics to derive the equation, which is now known as the Euler buckling equation.

3. What assumptions did Euler make in his buckling formula?

Euler's buckling formula is based on several assumptions, including that the column is perfectly straight, has a constant cross-sectional area, and is made of a homogeneous and isotropic material. Additionally, it assumes that the column is loaded in the direction of its axis and that the buckling occurs suddenly and without any plastic deformation.

4. How accurate is Euler's buckling formula?

Euler's buckling formula is a simplified model and may not accurately predict the exact critical load for all types of columns. It assumes ideal conditions and does not account for factors such as imperfections in the column's geometry or material, initial curvature, or the presence of external loads. However, it is still widely used in engineering and provides a good estimate for slender columns with a high slenderness ratio.

5. Can Euler's buckling formula be applied to all types of columns?

Euler's buckling formula is most accurate for slender columns with a high slenderness ratio (length/diameter). It may not be applicable to short or stubby columns, as other factors such as shear and bending may also play a significant role in their buckling behavior. Additionally, the formula is only applicable to columns under compressive loads and cannot be used for columns under other types of loads.