Temperature Effects of Young's Modulus for Copper

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of brazing copper at 1050°C and the potential changes in Young's Modulus. The speaker's simulations do not match empirical measurements and they suspect that the E value is lower than expected. The discussion also touches on the use of Au as a brazing material and its potential softening effects on copper. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that more recent equipment may provide more accurate measurements, but generally the behavior of brazed copper is similar to that of lead or tin.
FerrariEngineer
Hello-

I am running a simulation of a simple brazed copper assembly; brazed at 1050°C. I believe the Young's Modulus will drastically change after brazing at this temperature since the annealed state is "dead soft". My analyst colleague is using an annealed value for E of 15E-6 psi, which isn’t much less than cold-drawn. My deflection values are nowhere near the actual measurements I am empirically seeing, and I’m thinking E must be much less. I have located some graphs that do show E decreasing with temperature, but none close to 1050°C. Qualitatively speaking, I can vigorously swing a length of copper annealed at this temperature and see it bend like a noodle, so the E has to be lower. I am comparing to a behavior of something like lead??

Since my simulation model really only requires E in terms of the material properties for deflection, I can’t think what else is causing such a discrepancy?? Other boundary conditions are quite simple.

Anyone have knowledge of material properties for REALLY annealed copper at 1050°C??

Thank you in advance.

Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Brazed with what?

35/65 Au/Cu

I can see the Au softening your assembly quite a bit; can't cite numbers or specific sources, just agonies lab technicians had when I was in grad school with assembling apparatus containing Cu and Au for another group. And, actually at NBS.

"Noodle?" Annealed Cu is not "soft," or ductile, but easily deformed, hence its use in gaskets (one use and they're done).

Cu melts at 1083°C and we hydrogen braze at 1030°C. So if I run a 1/8-in rod at this tempertaure, a 4-year old could easily bend it, looking like a mini Schwarzenegger. So maybe not a real noodle, but defintely much softer than typical annealed wire or gaskets, which are heated at temperatures much less. Hence, brazed copper is often referred as "dead soft". I would compare the easy of bending to that of lead at the same shape. At this soft, would you agree that E must dcrease??

Thx

We're working at the limits of my knowledge here. The ultimate strengths listed in what references I've got are around 2/3 that of "hard drawn" Cu, though I do not see how one gets a tensile failure without work hardening the stuff; same references include no yield points, leaving Young's modulus as more a guessing game than anything given the state of the art at the time the listed measurements were made. Conceivably more recent, more sensitive equipment has been used at lower stress and strain values, but I'm unaware of such. Functionally, it has to be regarded as something on a par with lead or tin, but subject to rapid work hardening.

The details on Au-Cu problems have almost all escaped me (other peoples' problems) with the exception of the observation/rediscovery of how easily Au diffuses in Cu in the solid phase at only very moderate temperatures, 200 - 300 C°. Whether that aggravates your problem remains to be seen.

1. What is Young's Modulus for Copper?

Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is the ratio of stress to strain within the elastic limit of a material.

2. How does temperature affect Young's Modulus for Copper?

As temperature increases, the Young's Modulus for Copper decreases. This is because the thermal energy causes the atoms in the material to vibrate more, making it easier to deform the material.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and Young's Modulus for Copper?

The relationship between temperature and Young's Modulus for Copper is inverse. As temperature increases, Young's Modulus decreases and vice versa.

4. What is the practical significance of understanding the temperature effects of Young's Modulus for Copper?

Understanding the temperature effects of Young's Modulus for Copper is important in engineering and design applications. It allows for more accurate predictions of how copper materials will behave under different temperature conditions, and helps in selecting the appropriate material for a given application.

5. How is the temperature effects of Young's Modulus for Copper measured?

The temperature effects of Young's Modulus for Copper can be measured through experiments such as thermal expansion tests or tensile tests at different temperatures. These tests provide data on the changes in Young's Modulus with increasing or decreasing temperature.