Voltage across a load resistor in a Voltage Divider Circuit

In summary: The current through the 2.2Ω is V/2.2, the current through R is V/R. The sum of the currents is V. The fraction of total current that goes through R is (V/R) / (V + 2.2).
Martinet

Homework Statement

Show that V across Resistor Rkohms is: (11R) / (3.96 + 4R) V

The circuit is a 5V cell in series with a 1.8k resistor. Following the 1.8k resistor are a 2.2k and Rk resistor in parallel with each other. The wires then rejoin and return to the cell.Current through the circuit has already been found as 5(2.2 + R) / (3.96 + 4R) mA

Homework Equations

I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 5(2.2 + R) / (3.96 + 4R)
thus I through R
= 5(2.2 + R) / (3.96 + 4R) * (R / 2.2 + R) <= Current is divided proportionally to the strength of the resistor.
= 5R / (3.96 + 4R) <= Simplification.

V = IR
thus V across R
= (5R / 3.96 + 4R)) * R <= Voltage is equal to the divided current * the resistance, R.
= 5R^2 / (3.96 + 4R) <= Simplification.

I'm not quite sure where I'm going wrong. I have a funny feeling it might have something to do with voltage divider theory but I can't see how that would be incorporated. ANy help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Martinet! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif
Martinet said:
The circuit is a 5V cell in series with a 1.8k resistor. Following the 1.8k resistor are a 2.2k and Rk resistor in parallel with each other. The wires then rejoin and return to the cell.

Current through the circuit has already been found as 5(2.2 + R) / (3.96 + 4R) mA
Correct.
thus I through R
= 5(2.2 + R) / (3.96 + 4R) * (R / 2.2 + R)
Wrong. And it's still wrong even when you add the essential brackets. :frown:

https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon2.gif Current in R = 5(2.2 + R) / (3.96 + 4R) * (2.2 /( 2.2 + R)) mA

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Nascent. Can you explain to me why the current is relative to the 2.2k as opposed to the resistor across which voltage is being measured?

The greater the parallel resistor, the greater the share through R. Current share is in inverse proportion to the resistances.

If the parallel resistor were zero ohms (a short circuit), then zero current would go through R (it would all be going through the short circuit).

Martinet said:
Hey Nascent. Can you explain to me why the current is relative to the 2.2k as opposed to the resistor across which voltage is being measured?
With the pair being in parallel, measuring the voltage across one is the same as measuring the voltage across the other. :smile:

Okay. Now I understand. Vaguely, but I think I understand. Thanks very much. I think I need to refine my basic understanding of electricity itself. I'm still in that rut where I imagine electrons coming out of a battery instead of merely being pushed/dragged along by it.

It's easy enough to work out from first principles. Imagine two resistors in parallel, R and 2.2Ω, with a voltage V applied across each. The current through the 2.2Ω is V/2.2, the current through R is V/R.

The sum of the currents = ...
The fraction of total current that goes through R = (V/R) / ( ... )

Reduce this expression to a simple fraction.

Commit the result to memory. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of a load resistor in a voltage divider circuit?

A load resistor is used to divide the input voltage into smaller output voltages. This is useful for powering different components in a circuit that may require different voltage levels.

2. How is the voltage across a load resistor calculated in a voltage divider circuit?

The voltage across a load resistor is calculated by multiplying the input voltage by the ratio of the load resistor's resistance to the total resistance in the circuit. This can be represented by the formula Vout = (Vin * Rload) / (R1 + R2 + Rload).

3. What factors can affect the voltage across a load resistor in a voltage divider circuit?

The voltage across a load resistor can be affected by the value of the input voltage, the values of the resistors in the circuit, and the load resistance itself. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of other components in the circuit can also impact the voltage.

4. How does changing the load resistor affect the voltage across the resistor in a voltage divider circuit?

Changing the value of the load resistor will change the ratio of the total resistance in the circuit, which in turn will affect the output voltage. A higher load resistor will result in a higher output voltage, while a lower load resistor will result in a lower output voltage.

5. Can the voltage across a load resistor in a voltage divider circuit be higher than the input voltage?

No, the voltage across a load resistor in a voltage divider circuit cannot be higher than the input voltage. The voltage is divided among the resistors in the circuit, so the output voltage will always be lower than the input voltage.