Designing a Voltage Divider Circuit with a Trim Pot

In summary, the conversation involves a request for help in creating a circuit with a Potentiometer as a voltage divider, using a 9V voltage source and two resistors (3k Ohm and 1k Ohm) in blue, with red and black wires for connections. The person has created an image of the circuit in Paint and is seeking confirmation on its correctness, with a clarification that the "Turn Pot" should actually be a "Trim Pot."
EEhokie13

Homework Statement

I need to make a circuit with a Potentiometer as a voltage divider. There is a 9V voltage source. Two resistors(in blue on the picture). The first blue line, is a 3k Ohm resistor. The second after the Turn Pot is a 1k ohm resistor. The red lines are red wire. The black line is the ground wire.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have built a circuit, the image link below is what I have done so far. I created the image in paint but I have the actual circuit built. I just want to know if I am correct or if I am wrong. Thank you.

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/8263/helpbreadboard.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
By turn pot, do you mean trim pot?

gomezfx said:
By turn pot, do you mean trim pot?

Oh shoot, yes, I do mean trim pot. Thank you! can you help?

Related to Designing a Voltage Divider Circuit with a Trim Pot

1. What is a voltage divider with turn pot?

A voltage divider with turn pot is an electronic circuit component that is used to divide a voltage into smaller parts. It consists of two resistors connected in series, with a third variable resistor or "turn pot" connected in between them. By adjusting the turn pot, the output voltage can be varied within a certain range.

2. How does a voltage divider with turn pot work?

A voltage divider with turn pot works by using the principle of Ohm's Law. The input voltage is divided between the two fixed resistors based on their resistance values, and the output voltage is determined by the position of the turn pot along the series circuit. By changing the resistance of the turn pot, the output voltage can be adjusted accordingly.

3. What is the purpose of using a voltage divider with turn pot?

A voltage divider with turn pot is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a specific voltage level for a component or circuit. It can also be used to adjust the voltage level for different applications, such as controlling the speed of a motor or the brightness of an LED.

4. How do you calculate the output voltage of a voltage divider with turn pot?

The output voltage of a voltage divider with turn pot can be calculated using the formula Vout = (R2 / R1 + R2) * Vin, where R1 and R2 are the resistance values of the fixed resistors and Vin is the input voltage. The position of the turn pot along the series circuit will determine the value of R2.

5. Can a voltage divider with turn pot be used for high voltage applications?

It is not recommended to use a voltage divider with turn pot for high voltage applications, as the turn pot may not be able to handle the high voltage and could potentially cause damage to the circuit. It is best suited for low voltage applications.