Voltage and standard reduction potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses electrochemistry and the confusion surrounding the concept of voltage. The speaker understands that voltage is the work per unit charge, but is unsure about the movement of electrons from high potential to low potential. They also question the relationship between this concept and standard reduction potential. The speaker acknowledges that they may be mixing up multiple concepts and requests clarification. They are advised to ask about the electron and potential aspect in a physics forum before addressing the standard reduction potential.
Matriculator
We're doing electrochemistry this week and this concept confuses greatly. I know that voltage is the work per unit charge. And electrons move from high potential(is this voltage as well?) to low potential- what is meant by this by the way? How is this related to standard reduction potential? If electrons move from the anode(which I would assume is high potential), should it not have a higher potential(Eo) than the cathode? I know I'm mixing up a lot of concepts here but can anyone clear it up? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you ask the electron and potential part in the physics forum (if I move the thread there, we risk it will be bounced back :wink:). Once you get this part ready, we can get back to the standard reduction potential.

1. What is voltage and standard reduction potential?

Voltage is the measure of the electric potential difference between two points. Standard reduction potential (E°) is a measure of the tendency of a species to gain electrons and be reduced. It is measured in volts (V) or millivolts (mV).

2. How do voltage and standard reduction potential relate to each other?

Voltage and standard reduction potential are directly related. A species with a higher standard reduction potential will have a higher tendency to gain electrons and a higher voltage potential.

3. What is the difference between standard reduction potential and standard electrode potential?

Standard reduction potential is a measure of the tendency to gain electrons for a specific species, while standard electrode potential is a measure of the potential difference between a specific electrode and the standard hydrogen electrode.

4. How is standard reduction potential measured?

Standard reduction potential is measured by connecting a half-cell containing the species of interest to a standard hydrogen electrode and measuring the potential difference between the two electrodes.

5. What is the significance of standard reduction potential in electrochemistry?

Standard reduction potential is an important concept in electrochemistry as it allows for the prediction of whether a redox reaction will occur spontaneously. A positive standard reduction potential indicates a spontaneous reaction, while a negative value indicates a non-spontaneous reaction.