1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power dissipated by a resistor in a circuit

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 11.23.06 AM.png

2. Relevant equations

P = V^2 / R
    1/Rt = sum(1/Ri) (parallel)

3. The attempt at a solution

Since all the answer choices express the solution in terms of V^2 / R, I tried to find the voltage drop across resistor #2 to find the power. I collapsed the two parallel resistors 2 and 3 into one and found their effective resistance to be R/2 (parallel formula). Using Kirchhoff's voltage law,

V = IR + I(R/2) = 3IR / 2 where I is the total current in the circuit

Since V = 3IR/2, I can rewrite the voltage drop across the collapsed resistors as (⅓)V. Therefore the voltage drops across resistors #2 and #3 are both (⅓)V since they are in parallel. Plugging into the power formula,

P = (1/3V)^2 / R = V^2 / 9R, answer choice D. But the answer key says the solution is B. Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your reasoning looks correct to me. I agree that D is the correct answer. Apparently the answer key is wrong.

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted