Voltage created by charged flat plates

In summary: Both ways lead to the same answer (V increases by factor of 2). Is this a coincidence, or are these eqivalent ways to think about it?
physickkksss

Homework Statement

Two flat charged plates create a uniform electric field (E). What happens to voltage (V) when the distance (d) is doubled?

Homework Equations

Voltage in uniform electric field:
V = E*d

Capacitance equations:
V = Q/C
C = K * A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

The simple thing to do would be that since d is increased by 2, and V = Ed, then V goes up by 2.

But that does't make sense...if you keep moving the plates apart would you keep getting an increase in voltage?

I think we need to incorporate the change in capacitance somehow...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming that [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] stays the same if the plates are moved. Is that true?

I'm not sure...

Doesn't E stay constant in a field with two flat charged plates?
I know if they were point charges than it would be E = K Q/r^2

Just it does not make sense that if d is doubled, then V should go up by 2 (or else you could keep moving plates apart to create more voltage).

It seems something else needs to be taken into account...either Capacitance, or E, or something...

There are certain assumptions concerning the dimensions of a capacitor that allow one to assume a uniform field between the plates. The resulting equations only hold so long as those assumptions are met. Investigate "capacitor edge effects".

physickkksss said:
I'm not sure...

Doesn't E stay constant in a field with two flat charged plates?
I know if they were point charges than it would be E = K Q/r^2

And what happens if [itex]r[/itex] changes?

Just it does not make sense that if d is doubled, then V should go up by 2 (or else you could keep moving plates apart to create more voltage).

It seems something else needs to be taken into account...either Capacitance, or E, or something...

You're right, it doesn't make sense. And it's good you are checking your results for sanity. Why indeed should [itex]V[/itex] double when the distance doubles? Does it make any more sense for [itex]V[/itex] halve when the distance doubles? Review the meaning of [itex]V[/itex] and all should become clear.

Last edited:
physickkksss said:
That is one way to generate a higher voltage. Charge some parallel plates, remove their link to the source, then increase the separation of the plates. It takes effort to move the plates apart; because being of opposite charge, there is attraction between the plates.

NascentOxygen said:
That is one way to generate a higher voltage. Charge some parallel plates, remove their link to the source, then increase the separation of the plates. It takes effort to move the plates apart; because being of opposite charge, there is attraction between the plates.

So is that the simple answer then?...V increases by a factor of 2?

If the plates are very large, there are no changes in C or E?

I noticed that there are two ways to go about it:

one way:
V = E*d...in which case V increases by factor of 2

second way:

C = K A/d...which means C decreases by factor of 2

then V = Q/C...which means V increases by factor of 2

Both ways lead to the same answer (V increases by factor of 2). Is this a coincidence, or are these eqivalent ways to think about it?

physickkksss said:
I noticed that there are two ways to go about it:

one way:
V = E*d...in which case V increases by factor of 2
On what basis do you say E remains fixed?

NascentOxygen said:
On what basis do you say E remains fixed?

From what I know E must be considered as one of two cases:

1) E between point charges ==> E = K Q/r^2

2) E between large flat charged plates ==> E remains constant

If two plates are moved backwards, would E change?

physickkksss said:
From what I know E must be considered as one of two cases: 1) E between point charges ==> E = K Q/r^2 2) E between large flat charged plates ==> E remains constant. If two plates are moved backwards, would E change?
In real life, with sufficient distance between the plates, the field approximates the field between two point charges. There's also a 3rd case, the field from a charged wire or between two charged wires. This 3rd case is rare, but the force related to the magnetic field between two wires carrying current is used to define what an ampere is.

Last edited:
hmmmm...I know things get more complicated in real life, but this is a typical "homework" type of question, where E is created from either 1) point charges, or 2) flat plates.

I am wondering whether:

V = E*d

and

C=K A/d
V=C/Q

are two equivalent ways to do this

1. What is the relationship between voltage and charged flat plates?

The voltage created by charged flat plates is directly proportional to the amount of charge on the plates. This means that as the charge on the plates increases, the voltage also increases.

2. How are charged flat plates used to create voltage?

When two flat plates with opposite charges are placed close together, an electric field is created between them. This electric field is a measure of the force that would be exerted on a charged particle placed between the plates. The voltage created is a measure of the strength of this electric field.

3. Can voltage created by charged flat plates be manipulated?

Yes, the voltage created by charged flat plates can be manipulated by changing the distance between the plates, the amount of charge on the plates, or by using different materials for the plates.

4. What are some practical applications of voltage created by charged flat plates?

Charged flat plates are used in many electronic devices, such as capacitors, which store electrical energy. They are also used in particle accelerators to provide the necessary electric fields for accelerating charged particles.

5. How does the shape of the plates affect the voltage created?

The shape of the plates does not have a significant effect on the voltage created. As long as the plates are flat and have opposite charges, the voltage will be created in the same way.