1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage-divider and d'Arsonval voltmeter problem

1. May 4, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    The voltage-divider circuit is designed so that the no-load output voltage is 8/10ths of the input voltage. A d'Arsonval voltmeter having a sensitivity of 200 ohms/V and a full-scale rating of 150 V is used to check the operation of the circuit.
    a) What will the voltmeter read if it is placed across the 126 V source?
    b) What will the voltmeter read if it is placed across the 60 kohms resistor?
    c) What will the voltmeter read if it is placed across the 15 kohms resistor?
    d) Will the voltmeter readings obtained in parts (b) and (c) add to the reading recorded in part (a)? Explain why or why not.

Output voltage is 100.8 V. About d'Arsonval voltmeter: using sensitivity and full-scale rating we can find resistance of the voltmeter? Than it is 30 kohms. I think in part (a) answer is 126 V, is it correct? Have some problems with parts (b)-(d). Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

4. May 4, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your answer for (a) is correct. Please show us your work on the rest of the parts of the problem. What is the equation for a Voltage Divider?

5. May 5, 2016 #4
    Voltage divider equation: Uout = Uin * R2 / (R1 + R2). And for my problem Uout = 126 V * 60 kohms / (60 kohms + 15 kohms) = 100.8 V.

6. May 6, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your comment about calculating the meter resistance is correct.

Try drawing the equivalent circuit for the set up in b)

7. May 6, 2016 #6
    Here it is.

Attached Files:

8. May 7, 2016 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK now replace the real world volt meter with an ideal meter and a resistor

9. May 7, 2016 #8
    Can I use this equations: U2 = I * R;
    I = Uin/(R1 + R2)?
    I = 126 V / (15 kohms + 60 kohms) = 1.68 mA; U2 = 1.68 mA * 60 kohms = 100.8 V. Is that correct?

10. May 8, 2016 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thats the voltage that an ideal meter would display not the voltage this meter would display. See my post #7.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted