Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage divider circuit and effect on current

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    Hey,
    Im new and this is just a simple question.
    I want to make a voltage divider circuit to power a 3V dc motor using a 9V battery supply. However the motor draws 0.20amps when there is no load. In conjunction with the voltage divider equation V(out) = (R2 * V(in) )/ (R1+R2) , how to ensure that enough current is supplied to the motor? Also I've read that I will need to take into account the resistance of the motor as well! How do I do this and which resistors should I use?

Thanks alot for your help,
    77jenko

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the motor draws .2amps when there is no load."

If I'm assuming correctly, I believe you want to model the motor as a load requiring 3V and .2 amps. In this case, you would use ohm's law to model the motor as a resistor (V = IR). Once you have this resistance, you could use it as the R2 in your voltage divider equation, and then solve for your R1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook