The battery voltage drops when fed to the DC booster circuit

leVanw
I use a 12V battery to power a DC booster circuit. After just a moment, my battery's voltage decreased, causing the booster circuit to also decrease its voltage. Is there any way to make the battery last longer without losing voltage? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the energy rating of your battery (in Amp-hours)? What current do you measure out of the battery when it is driving the boost circuit? What is the load of the boost circuit (output voltage and current)?

berkeman said:
What is the energy rating of your battery (in Amp-hours)? What current do you measure out of the battery when it is driving the boost circuit? What is the load of the boost circuit (output voltage and current)?
The output voltage of the booster circuit is about 40V, and I don't know what the energy rating of the battery is (I use a GP 23A 12V battery).

leVanw said:
GP 23A 12V battery
Link to the datasheet please.

leVanw said:
The output voltage of the booster circuit is about 40V
Link to the datasheet please. What is the load? What is the output current?

(pulling teeth here...)

1. Why does the battery voltage drop when connected to a DC booster circuit?

The battery voltage can drop when connected to a DC booster circuit due to increased load demands. When a booster circuit draws current from the battery, it increases the load, which can cause the battery voltage to momentarily dip. This is particularly noticeable in batteries with higher internal resistance or when the battery is not fully charged.

2. What is the impact of battery voltage drop on the performance of a DC booster circuit?

A drop in battery voltage can negatively impact the performance of a DC booster circuit by reducing its efficiency. Lower input voltage can force the booster to work harder to step up to the desired voltage, which might not only reduce efficiency but also increase the heat generated by the circuit, potentially leading to overheating and damage if not properly managed.

3. How can I minimize the voltage drop when using a DC booster circuit?

To minimize voltage drop, ensure that the battery is in good health and fully charged. Use batteries with lower internal resistance and make sure that all connections are secure and of adequate wire gauge to handle the current without significant voltage drops. Additionally, consider using a capacitor at the input of the booster circuit to help stabilize the input voltage by providing a short burst of energy during high current demands.

4. Does the type of battery affect how much the voltage drops when using a DC booster circuit?

Yes, the type of battery significantly affects how much the voltage drops. Batteries with higher internal resistance, such as some types of lead-acid batteries, tend to exhibit more significant voltage drops under load compared to those with lower internal resistance like lithium-ion batteries. The capacity and state of charge of the battery also play crucial roles in how much the voltage will drop.

5. What should I do if the voltage drop is too significant to operate my DC booster circuit effectively?

If the voltage drop is too significant, consider switching to a battery with a higher capacity or lower internal resistance. Alternatively, you can add additional batteries in parallel to reduce the overall load on any single battery. If the issue persists, check the health of your battery and replace it if necessary. Additionally, ensure that the booster circuit is appropriately rated for the load and that all connections are optimized to minimize resistance.