1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage drop across capacitor

1. Jul 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to calculate the voltage drop across a 60uF and a 30uF capacitor in series, powered by 60V. Is the formula for voltage drop across capacitor opposite of the formula for resistor, where resistor is R1=R1/(R1+R2) while capacitor is C1=C2/(C1+C2)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The symbols on the left side don't make sense. The right side is useful, but you should probably derive those equations to be sure.

4. Jul 1, 2016 #3
    My bad, the eqs are supposed to be multiplied with the total voltage.

5. Jul 1, 2016 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It is far better that you be confident at deriving such formula yourself using basic knowledge.

The crux of the matter is that when connected to a source, equal amounts of charge are added to each of the series-connected capacitors.
    Use this fact, together with Q = C·V, to confirm or disprove the formula you wrote.

6. Jul 4, 2016 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Still your bad. R1=R1/(R1+R2) ??? Etc.

7. Jul 5, 2016 #6
    V1=[R1/(R1+R2)]V

My bad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted