1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating voltage across resistors/capacitors in a circuit

1. Feb 19, 2016 #1
    • members are reminded that handwriting is not an acceptable presentation here
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the voltage across each resistor and capacitor in the circuit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    As shown in the pictures, I have calculated the combined impedance of all the resistors and capacitors in the circuit.

I then calculated the supply current by just simply doing the supply voltage divided by the total impedance.

I then calculated the voltage across R1 by just multiplying the supply voltage with the supply current.

I calculated R2 by just subtracting the supply voltage from the voltage across R1.

From here I don't know where to go. How do I calculate the voltage across the rest of the resistors and capacitors?

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      46.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      26.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      32.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      26.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      26.3 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I believe mesh analysis would be helpful here. Assume three unknown currents in the three meshes and use KVL to find three equations. Solve them simultaneously and get the currents. You can easily find voltage across each component then.

4. Feb 19, 2016 #3
    Is there any other way to do it, I don't know how to do mesh analysis.

5. Feb 19, 2016 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I am afraid I don't see any other simpler way:rolleyes:. Since you are asked to find voltage across "each" component, you need to know the current flowing through each of them. I believe the simplest way to do it is by mesh analysis. If you were asked to find current through any particular component, network theorems such as Thevenin or Norton could be thought of but in this case, I believe you should use mesh analysis. Are you familiar with KVL?

6. Feb 19, 2016 #5
    The only examples I've ever did with KVL is with two loops and two voltage sources at either end. I'm not confident with it.

Can you maybe write out an example of how to work out R3 and maybe I can just pick up from there how to work out the rest of them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted