Calculating voltage across resistors/capacitors in a circuit

In summary, you need to mesh analyze three unknown currents and find three equations to solve for the currents.
nothing909
members are reminded that handwriting is not an acceptable presentation here

Homework Statement

Calculate the voltage across each resistor and capacitor in the circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As shown in the pictures, I have calculated the combined impedance of all the resistors and capacitors in the circuit.

I then calculated the supply current by just simply doing the supply voltage divided by the total impedance.

I then calculated the voltage across R1 by just multiplying the supply voltage with the supply current.

I calculated R2 by just subtracting the supply voltage from the voltage across R1.

From here I don't know where to go. How do I calculate the voltage across the rest of the resistors and capacitors?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 494
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 480
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 479
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 510
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 445
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 485
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 462
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe mesh analysis would be helpful here. Assume three unknown currents in the three meshes and use KVL to find three equations. Solve them simultaneously and get the currents. You can easily find voltage across each component then.

cnh1995 said:
I believe mesh analysis would be helpful here. Assume three unknown currents in the three meshes and use KVL to find three equations. Solve them simultaneously and get the currents. You can easily find voltage across each component then.
Is there any other way to do it, I don't know how to do mesh analysis.

I am afraid I don't see any other simpler way:rolleyes:. Since you are asked to find voltage across "each" component, you need to know the current flowing through each of them. I believe the simplest way to do it is by mesh analysis. If you were asked to find current through any particular component, network theorems such as Thevenin or Norton could be thought of but in this case, I believe you should use mesh analysis. Are you familiar with KVL?

The only examples I've ever did with KVL is with two loops and two voltage sources at either end. I'm not confident with it.

Can you maybe write out an example of how to work out R3 and maybe I can just pick up from there how to work out the rest of them?

1. How do I calculate the voltage across a resistor in a circuit?

To calculate the voltage across a resistor, you can use Ohm's Law which states that voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). So, V = I x R. You can also use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law which states that the sum of voltages in a closed loop circuit is equal to zero.

2. What is the significance of voltage across a resistor in a circuit?

The voltage across a resistor represents the amount of potential energy that is converted into heat or other forms of energy as the electric current flows through the resistor. It is an important factor in determining the behavior and characteristics of a circuit.

3. How do I calculate the voltage across a capacitor in a circuit?

To calculate the voltage across a capacitor, you can use the formula V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance. You can also use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to determine the voltage across a capacitor in a closed loop circuit.

4. What is the significance of voltage across a capacitor in a circuit?

The voltage across a capacitor represents the amount of electric potential energy stored in the capacitor. It is also an important factor in determining the behavior and characteristics of a circuit, particularly in AC circuits where capacitors are used for filtering and energy storage.

5. How does the voltage across a resistor/capacitor affect the overall circuit?

The voltage across a resistor/capacitor affects the overall circuit by influencing the flow of electric current and the distribution of energy within the circuit. It can also determine the behavior and performance of other components in the circuit. Understanding the voltage across resistors and capacitors is crucial in designing and analyzing circuits.