Computing AC voltage in a complex filter

In summary, the problem statement is to compute AC voltage. The relevant equations are cut off frequency, ac voltage.
Xaras
Homework Statement
Computing AC voltage
Relevant Equations
cut off frequency, ac voltage.
Problem Statement: Computing AC voltage
Relevant Equations: cut off frequency, ac voltage.

Hey guys,

Amazing to be in this group ! Please find attached the diagram of the problem.

E = 10kV at 60Hz, C1 = 60pF and R1 = 1k.

I have to compute the ac voltage in reference to ground at point [1]. Does it means that I need to compute the voltage at the resistance or the capacitor ? I was thinking it's the the voltage drop between the ground and the resistance, so here is my solution :

Vr(w) = R1/(ZC1(w) + R) * E(w) = 1/(1+jR1C1w)*E(w).

Then I have to compute the cut off frequency, as this is a RC classical scheme,fc = 1(2*π*R*C) right ?

Thanks for the help !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Xaras, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Seems like you got it all nicely sorted out. But next time don't orient the picture sideways: my neck still hurts 😉 !

Your analysis corresponds to e.g. what we see https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/filter/filter_3.html, so I think you are doing OK.

So, in your solution, for a fixed magnitude of E(w), as w increases you would have Vr decreasing. Is this what you would expect with a circuit like this? How does the impedance of a capacitor change with frequency?

Likes BvU
I was just hesitating because I thought current was flowing to the system and to the PD pulse counter so we can't apply the theorem.

But thanks for your answer :) !

DaveE said:
So, in your solution, for a fixed magnitude of E(w), as w increases you would have Vr decreasing. Is this what you would expect with a circuit like this? How does the impedance of a capacitor change with frequency?

I didn't get what you wanted to say ...

By the way I forgot to put the numbers on the picture, here they are ...

It is usually a good idea to check your final answer somehow to verify that there isn't a mistake. In simple AC circuits this is often done by looking at the behavior at different frequencies. In the world of engineering it is often not good enough to work through your equations and declare victory without checking them somehow. People make mistakes all the time, good engineers find and fix their own mistakes.

Yes sure,

So here are the answers for the cut off frequency = 1/(2*pi*R*C) = 2653 kHz.

For the Vr(w) = 10000/(1+ 2.26*10^(-5)*j).

Is it right ?

Ok, the subtle approach isn't working. Your method is correct but your final formula is not. Try again. Remember that ZC1(w)=1/(jwC1).
Also note that capacitors tend to pass high frequencies through with low impedance but block lower frequencies because their impedance is higher at low frequencies. So a circuit like this will have more voltage on the resistor when the source frequency is higher than if the frequency is lower. Your final solution should reflect that behavior.

BTW, your solution is correct for the voltage across the capacitor, so you are close.

DaveE said:
Ok, the subtle approach isn't working. Your method is correct but your final formula is not. Try again. Remember that ZC1(w)=1/(jwC1).
Also note that capacitors tend to pass high frequencies through with low impedance but block lower frequencies because their impedance is higher at low frequencies. So a circuit like this will have more voltage on the resistor when the source frequency is higher than if the frequency is lower. Your final solution should reflect that behavior.

Let's do it again. Here the goal is to compute the voltage across the resistor.

So :

Vr(w) = R1 * E(w) / (R1 + ZC1) = R1 * E(w) / ( R1 + 1/jC1w) = (E*R1*C1*jw)/(1+ jR1C1w).

Likes DaveE
There is something that I don't get, we're in low frequency. So Xc -> infinite = > Zc = 0 right ?
So it means that Vr(w) = E(w) ?

Xaras said:
Let's do it again. Here the goal is to compute the voltage across the resistor.

So :

Vr(w) = R1 * E(w) / (R1 + ZC1) = R1 * E(w) / ( R1 + 1/jC1w) = (E*R1*C1*jw)/(1+ jR1C1w).
Yes, good work!
BTW, an alternate form: Vr(w) = E(w)⋅[1/(1+1/(jwRC))] is sometimes easier to compute. But they are the same thing, it's just a matter of personal preference.
I kind of like the symmetry in these solutions:
Vc=E⋅[1/(1+(jwRC)]
Vr=E⋅[1/(1+1/(jwRC))]=E⋅[jwRC/(1+(jwRC)]
Then note that Vc+Vr = E⋅[1/(1+(jwRC)] + E⋅[jwRC/(1+(jwRC)] = E⋅[(1+jwRC)/(1+(jwRC)] = E as it should be.
This is one of many ways to check your solutions.

• Love
Likes Xaras
No, Zc is never zero or infinite. That is just the way they tend as the frequency approaches zero or infinity. In fact frequency is never zero or infinity in a rigorous sense. For example, even a DC circuit (which everyone, including me, says has f=0), really is just very very close to zero. If you turn that circuit on and off once a day then f=1/day.
Consider this original circuit at 60Hz, |Zc|=44.2 Mohm = 44.2e6 ohm, this is so much larger than the value of R=1 Kohm that, in practice, you might approximate it as infinite, then all of the voltage from E is across C1 (with an error of about 1/44.2e3 = 0.0023%. But if R=10 Mohms that wouldn't be a good approximation anymore, because 44.2 Mohms isn't much larger than 10 Mohms.
So when people talk about impedances being essentially zero or infinite it is always in relation to the other impedances in the circuit (although they often don't say that explicitly).
This, BTW, is why people want to know the cut-off frequency. In a simple circuit like this if the frequency of your source is very far away from the cut-off frequency then you can make approximations like this. Near the cut-off frequency the pertinent circuit elements all matter.
Don't worry if your not following all of this, it will become more clear as you study circuits more. However, for simple circuits like this one, it will really help in your studies if you spend a bit of time thinking about what the different parts of the circuit are doing after you have calculated your answer. You can spot errors and also learn to get a feeling for what to expect in similar problems later.

Also, you can look at the current, I(w)=E(w)/Z(w) where
Z(w)=R+1/(jwC)=(1+jwRC)/(jwC).
Then as w→0, Z→∞, I→0. This corresponds to assuming that Zc=∞
as w→∞, Z→R, I→E/R. This corresponds to assuming that Zc=0

Tanks Dave, I overlooked the math error in
Xaras said:
Vr(w) = R1/(ZC1(w) + R) * E(w) = 1/(1+jR1C1w)*E(w)

$$ V_{R_1}(\omega) = {R_1\over Z_{C_1}(\omega ) + R_1} * E(\omega) \quad \stackrel {\bf ?} {=} \quad {1\over 1+jR_1 C_1\omega}*E(\omega ) $$

( :rolleyes: I must be too spoiled by the good looks of ##\LaTeX## to see mistakes in non-typeset equations o:) )

1. How do you calculate the AC voltage in a complex filter?

The AC voltage in a complex filter can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). In a complex filter, the resistance is the total impedance, which is a combination of the resistance, capacitance, and inductance in the circuit.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

AC (alternating current) voltage is a type of electrical current that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) voltage is a type of electrical current that flows in only one direction. In a complex filter, AC voltage is used to filter out unwanted frequencies, while DC voltage is used to power the circuit.

3. How does a complex filter affect the AC voltage in a circuit?

A complex filter affects the AC voltage in a circuit by altering the impedance of the circuit at different frequencies. This means that the AC voltage will be reduced or amplified depending on the frequency of the signal passing through the filter. The overall effect is to filter out unwanted frequencies and pass through the desired frequencies.

4. What factors affect the AC voltage in a complex filter?

The AC voltage in a complex filter is affected by the components used in the filter, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. The values of these components, as well as their arrangement in the circuit, will determine the overall impedance and thus the AC voltage in the circuit.

5. How can you optimize the AC voltage in a complex filter?

To optimize the AC voltage in a complex filter, you can adjust the values and arrangement of the components in the circuit. This can be done through simulation software or by testing different configurations in a physical circuit. It is important to consider the desired frequency response and the limitations of the components when optimizing the AC voltage in a complex filter.