1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volterra Eqn of 2nd Kind -> DEQ

1. Mar 18, 2007 #1
    Volterra Eqn of 2nd Kind --> DEQ

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to convert y(x) = 1 - x + int[dt(x-t)y(t)] from 0 to x to a differential equation with the appropriate boundary conditions.

3. The attempt at a solution

OK I just had a problem converting a DEQ into an integral equation so I know the form it will take, I know it will be a 2nd order homogeneous equation... something like d^2y/dx^2 + y(x) = 0 with y(a) = b , dy/dx|c = d for some constants. I know it won't be a periodic boundary condition because that turns into a Fredholm Equation of the 2nd Kind.

So I applied d/dx to both sides getting

dy/dx = -1 + int[dty(t)] from 0 to x

I think this is valid since the integrand is with respect to t, I just applied the differentiation within the integral.

I'm not sure what to do from here though.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2007 #2
    Ok so I missed the obvious step of solving for the boundary conditions by simply plugging in x= 0 into my y(x) and dy/dx equations

so y(0) = 1 and dy(0)/dx = -1

This is what I got from my sketchy inspection method prior to this. I know the answer now, but I still don't know how to show it will become a 2nd order homogeneous equation.
  4. Mar 18, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First off there are two terms in the derivative of the integral since there are two sources of x dependence in the integral (one in the function and one in the limit). The one you have ignored does indeed vanish - is that why you ignored it? Once you get to this:

dy/dx = -1 + int[dty(t)] from 0 to x

you have a sign error in the integral. After fixing it you will have a correct equation, but it's still an integral equation. Suggests that you might want to differentiate again, yes?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?