1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volterra equations

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    Hi Guys!
    I have a (stupid) question. In which physical phenomena do you use Volterra equations (or similar equations) ?
    I mean if we go back to traditional heat,diffusion,wave, transport... and so on we know more or less when to use them. Are integral equation just a dual representation or is there a specific reason to use them ?
    Thanx
    Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    A differential equation:

[tex]
    y' = f(x, y)
    [/tex]

with the initial condition [itex]y(x_{0}) = y_{0}[/itex] is equivalent to the integral equation:

[tex]
    y(x) = y_{0} + \int_{x_{0}}^{x}{f(t, y(t)) \, dt}
    [/tex]

This is a Volterra (since the upper bound of the integral is variable) integral equation of the second kind (since the unknown function [itex]y(x)[/itex] is both under the integral and outside).

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Probably my question was not clear. I didn't ask for a definition (everybody can look up wikipedia), I asked when do you need to use them ?
    some inverse problem... for example ? I am asking when did you meet them, in which phenomena ?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  5. Oct 2, 2011 #4
    Is what I typed a definition?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook